Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

All of our development with Docker? The whole company environment with Docker?

Hello there :slight_smile:

I’ve start a workaround on Docker, so I’m a Docker-Noob for now.

I know, that I can make a Webserver- and a Database-Container with Docker and develop a WebApp with PhpStorm-IDE and CakePHP-Framework (uh, got it :-P).

I’ve read often on company pages some things like:
We’ve switched all of our development in Docker!
…or…
All of our Environments are Dockerized so we can share it to new employees, they can start very fast with work.

What do they mean with this statements???
For example:
They install Ubuntu with Gnome and PhpStorm with all settings, the company directories and maybe other Apps in a Container. Webserver in one Container and Database in another?

What if they have three programming languages? Is there one Container with C++ and the IDE, one with Python and the IDE and one with PhpStorm???

Do they have only the OS on the Computer and all other Apps, Servers, Databases, Directories etc. in hundreds of containers?

I’m very confusing about that…

Kind regards…

Usualy the IDE remains either on the Workstation or in a Vagrant VM on the Workstation and the applications environment (target system and all its dependencies) is containized.

While a Vagrant VM allows to created scripted VM base-boxes and automate deployment and configuration of further required tools and applications, setting up the IDE on the Workstation usualy remains a cumbersom task that usualy relies on documentation that is to be followed manualy, rather then automated setups. You could even use a web-based IDE like Eclipse Che or Cloud9 to not even require setting up the IDE, Docker or anything, because work would be done on a preconfigured shared remote system using your browser :wink:

It is possible to use containerized UI applications (true for Linux container, not true for Windows container). Been there, done that, didn’t like it and ended further experiments with it (on a Windows host with Linux Containers).

I doubt that desktop applications and fileshares are containerized. Some companies don’t even containzied database servers. Also you don’t containerize a server, you containerize services.

Have you seen VS Code Remote Development. I have not suggested it to anyone yet as I am still learning where the mines in the minefield are but when working with multiple configurations of environments, this sure beats trying to juggle them all on one machine.

The cumbersome part usualy is the project specific configuration and wiring things together…

VS Code is lovely and I use it for all “small things”. I even run an instance of the code-server (the open source portion of VS Code) in private as a container exposed to the internet - It’s my one stop dashboard to modify deployment configurations and deploy things right away. I can highly recommend the linuxserver/code-server image. Though in a corporate enviornment you would rather see Eclipse Che than the Code-Server.

Yes.

Being new to this forum my use of the word environment was in the wrong context in the earlier post, my bad.

I have not worked my way up to composing multiple containers and such. Currently I am working to use a generate and test methodology for creating Dockerfiles for base and variation configurations for single containers. The idea goal being that one creates a set of test for the single container and then the code tries to create a Dockerfile that passes the test, think test drive development. The test could include queries against a container that should succeed, queries that should fail, queries that should not get past a firewall, memory footprint of the container, speed of the query, etc.

Once I have that working reasonably, I can move onto composing sets of containers and do the same generate and test.

Since I use Prolog on a daily basis, writing these types of programs is as common as iterating a collection in most other imperative programming languages.

But learning how to use the Docker Engine API with SWI-Prolog is a bit of a learning experience at the moment but once I solve that I should be back to cookie-cutter work.

Thanks for the reference. I don’t know what to make of it or how it can be leveraged, but will read about it and keep it in mind as I learn more. I suspect it will add a new aspect how to think about using containers.

EDIT

OK, now I get the difference between code-server which is VS Code running remotely with such benefits and linuxserver.io which the group of like minded enthusiasts with lots of valuable information and such, with code-server being a specific item. :slightly_smiling_face:

The word “Docker” refers to several things, including an open source community project; tools from the open source project; Docker Inc., the company that primarily supports that project; and the tools that company formally supports. The fact that the technologies and the company share the same name can be confusing.

Here’s a brief explainer:

The IT software "Docker” is containerization technology that enables the creation and use of Linux® containers.
The open source Docker community works to improve these technologies to benefit all users.
The company, Docker Inc., builds on the work of the Docker community, makes it more secure, and shares those advancements back to the greater community. It then supports the improved and hardened technologies for enterprise customers.

Why are you doing a Let me Google that for you but then not giving a reference to where you copied the response. (ref) Yes I know you are a bot, but should bots need be held to the same standard as everyone else if they don’t admit they are a bot up front?

Judging by the single shot responses that may or may not be within the context of the the original, I came to the conclusion that lewish95 is someone’s AI bot playground in early stages or a realy ignorant user.

You can usualy find the source material by googling sentences of its response and see that it takes parts of the source page without adding any own content to it. It is realy a shame that the staff doesn’t care about a stupid bot harrasing the forum users.

I agree that it would feel less ackward if the responses would be clearly marked as bot responses, indicating the keywords used for the search, having the content put in a quote block with a reference to the original source…

1 Like