Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Assign a custom domain name (nickname, FQDN)

(Shaun Jackman) #1

My node has the FQDN 518fc1a0-828d-4d5a-9b54-2b9d0062fdc5.node.dockerapp.io, which is long and unwieldy. I’d like to give it a nickname, like mygreatname.node.dockerapp.io. I see a nickname in the API documentation. Is it possible to give a node a nickname from the web interface?

See https://docs.docker.com/apidocs/docker-cloud/#update-a-node

Thanks,
Shaun

(Duizendnegen) #2

Hello Shaun, did you find a way to get this done? I am also tempted to do similar, moreover, I’d like to at our domain name to it.

(Arnaud de Mouhy) #3

Letting users define their own nickname on the node.dockerapp.io subdomain is quite difficult as every customer would share the same common subdomain, leading to name conflicts and security problems (you could “probe” if a nickname is available, and if not, you know that someone has a node behind and you could DDOS it)

What you can do, if you have bought a domain name, to add an entry in your DNS records of type “CNAME” that points to the docker FQDN.

For example, you have bought mycompany.com, you add a CNAME record “mygreatname” pointing to 518fc1a0-828d-4d5a-9b54-2b9d0062fdc5.node.dockerapp.io. (the dot at the end, after the “io”, is important in such case).

Your node will be available as mygreatname.mycompany.com a few minutes/hours later (due to DNS propagation).