Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Automated builds: docker cloud vs docker hub

automatedbuilds

(David Morcillo Muñoz) #1

Hi there!

I’m testing the automated builds on Docker cloud and it looks amazing but I’m a bit confused now. Since I can enable automated builds in the cloud may I need to disable the automated builds on Docker Hub?

Thanks!

(Geoff Bowers) #2

I suspect this area is in a state of flux at the moment; for example, Docker cloud has recently introduced the ability to build with their infrastructure similar to Docker Hub, but lacks all the build features of DockerHub.

I would recommend only activating automated builds in one location, as for the moment they appear to be different services.

The real beauty of Docker Cloud is the option to build stuff in your own infrastructure so you can assign the amount of grunt you want to the build process without having to rely on Docker.com to queue up a server farm in a respectable timeframe.

(David Morcillo Muñoz) #3

Thanks @modius! I’m agree with you, building images on my own servers will be awesome for specific services. Another difference between hub and cloud is the ability to pass environment variables to the builds on the latest.