Baffled - Dockerfile builds on all but one of our team's computers

I tried to build it yesterday. My system is Docker Desktop 1.13 on macOS Monterey (M1 chiip). I got the same error message. Then I tried it in a multipass virtual machnie, but that froze at installing (or compiling??) a package called “arrow”.

To react some of the comments on GitHub:

The fact that you can the software on the host, does not really mean anyhing, macOS has not just its own packages, but its own kernel (Darwin). The only thing the host and Docker Desktop have in common is that if the host has an arm CPU, Docker Desktop will have that too, but it will run everything in a virtual machine.

When something is based on the kernel or anyhing close to it, you can have different result on different machines even if you run it in containers.

I also remember somthing that was an issue on Docker Hub, because there was a library I guess, that was not compatible with a specific Docker version so some builds failed. I didn’t have any problem, I just read about it.

Let’s say the build requires some device, for example GPU, or the build detects its environment and it builds differently in different environments. Since a container is not a full operating system, missing components, libraries can be a problem sometimes.

I know, it does not answer your main question.

Could you summarize for us where the build worked and whre it didn’t? I have read the comments on github, but it was not entirely clear to me.

I can test it on Mac, Linux and Windows 11