Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Best AWS instance type?

(Will Stern) #1

Any recommendations on the best AWS instance type for Docker Cloud?
In a few tests, I get way better performance out of a t2.medium than an m3.medium for node.js apps, but that’s about all the comparison I have.

Also, I was wondering what OS Docker Cloud is using when it creates nodes from the dockercloud-node_1453372039 AMI?

Thanks!

(Andrew) #2

It depends what you are using it for. T2 are great for burst performance, but M3 for sustained.

The T2 do have a better CPU which is why would would of noticed the improved performance, plus the t2.medium is 2 vCPU, when m3.medium is only 1

(Geoff Bowers) #3

We use M4.xlarge (4cpus with 16GB RAM) for production clusters:

M4 instances are the latest generation of General Purpose Instances. This family provides a balance of compute, memory, and network resources, and it is a good choice for many applications.
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

Are apps are generally web apps running on Tomcat. Each app has a JVM footprint of about 512Mb to 1024Mb per container so we need a relatively high memory to CPU ratio. The general purpose M4s work very well for us.

The higher memory R3 Memory Optimised options also look interesting but for now we are happy with the better CPU to Memory grunt of the M4 series.