Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Cluster Management in Docker Cloud will be discontinued on May 21

(Peterlauri) #1

When I read it I take it as the best part of Docker Cloud is going to die (Stacks), and one need to find an alternate solution. Am I right? :frowning:

If I got it right, I want to find an alternate solution. My preference would be:

-docker compose file configuration
-few choices of cloud provider (DO, AWS, AZURE, Google)

Where are you heading?

(Abellion) #2

On my side, I’m investigating several alternatives such as :

I’m looking for a simple yet full featured solution as Docker Cloud had to offer. If you folks have any alternatives or feedback to share, please go ahead !

(Jmiraglia) #3

I’ve started migrating over to Google Kubernetes Engine in the last few weeks. It has been a bit of a learning curve but the upsides are fantastic as long as you are comfortable working in the terminal. For one my development environment is now able to be a mirror image of production, even able to use the same deployment files. This was not something that was possible with Docker Cloud. I had to use docker-compose for development and Stackfiles for production. So far things are quite a bit more stable as well.

(Goffinf) #4

Rancher provides an incredibly rich UX and programmatic API over K8s that removes the expensive learning curve. You can even migrate using your existing docker-compose yaml files and Rancher will take care or the translation to K8s manifests.

Rancher is a complete (open source) container management platform. Start here … https://rancher.com

(Peterlauri) #5

What other alternates did you consider apart of Google Kubernetes? Did you consider AWS as well?

(Jmiraglia) #6

I did consider AWS briefly but I’ve always found the interface easier to manage with Google Cloud. We are also using GitLab which has an integration point into GKE through the UI but not AWS ECS.

I did not consider services that provide an alternative management interface such as Rancher for the sole purpose of avoiding what happened here with Docker Cloud. I know that going with Kubernetes, I can very easily move all configuration off to a different cloud provider with minimal effort without any real functional loss.

(Peterlauri) #7

Did you use https://kubernetes.io/docs/tools/kompose/user-guide/ or just manually worked your self to Kubernetes?

(Jmiraglia) #8

I just manually worked to Kubernetes. It wasn’t too terrible. Mostly just learning the syntax for the deployment files in Kubernetes.

This was an excellent presentation that was very helpful in starting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-FKBoWTVws

(Peterlauri) #9

Interesting alternative: https://kontena.io

Look here:
https://asciinema.org/a/25815

(Jonathanparrilla) #10

I decided to try Cloud66, Docker EE, AWS ECS, and Rancher.

Rancher won by a wide margin.

(Georg Ledermann) #11

I decided to migrate my single node to Portainer. Read more about this here:

(Archimedes Trajano) #12

I found that running your own docker swarm isn’t too bad. Any decent devops guy can quickly set it up either locally or on AWS.

With AWS you can leverage some of their extra services like S3 for storage so you avoid the headaches of trying to set up glusterfs

Once you have it set up you can install docker-for-windows/mac or just docker-ce and change DOCKER_HOST to point to the remote server provided you set up the TLS correctly.

I think the hardest part would be to set up the registry if you were to do it manually (based on my experience) but AWS has a service for that.

(Archimedes Trajano) #13

I like the stuff you had done there. I have a 5 node setup, 1 swarm manager, 2 swarm workers and 2 (non-swarm) glusterfs stores running my personal website on my desktop (ya living dangerously)

I’ll probably add portainer, to my setup at the moment I have

On a 16GB machine on which I still play Heroes of the Storm on. :slight_smile: I may splurge and get another 16GB stick so I have more room to play with since this is getting pegged to the limit.

I use both nginx and apache for my setup, nginx for my public blog but apache is my gateway for my “intranet” services such as the grafana monitoring tool, jenkins and sonatype nexus and I’ll add portainer to it too.eventually.

My intranet is done in apache because nginx does not have as rich capability for handing client side certificates and proxying without paying $2500 per instance. So far everything I’ve set up is just with simple free tools running in Virtualbox under Windows 10 :slight_smile:

(Hakatoursd) #14

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am a bit confused as too what services are closing:

Currently I have stuff running under all of the following - is this what is closing and I need to migrate to Rancher?

What’s Running

(Archimedes Trajano) #15

I think Rancher is more useful if you’re moving over to k8s. Since i am sticking with docker swarm I use portainer to provide some admin UI and grafana + prometheus + cadvisor + nodeexporter (i took it from swarmpromand tweaked it for my needs).

(Peterlauri) #16

I went over to Google Cloud K8S… smooth transition… easy to use, and beautiful set of services one can use… lets see the final bill, but that is secondary…

(Archimedes Trajano) #17

problem with using the cloud services is it the cost per environment I find. It’s okay for the final shared ones but I would still prefer having a way of rebuilding things on a laptop for a single user to test and debug issues.

(Peterlauri) #18

Works like a charm with Minikub (or Docker for Mac Beta with built in k8s orchestrator)…