Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Deploying node cluster in AWS times out `Waiting for the agent to contact...`

amazonwebservices

(Doug Clark) #1

I’m just starting out with docker cloud. I was trying to launch a new node cluster (just 1 node) on EC2 from the Docker Cloud UI.

An instance is created in EC2, if I look at the system log for the instance I see this:
-> Configuring dockercloud-agent...

What I see in the timeline for the node in the docker cloud UI is this:

56aefcdc-testacc: Deploying to Amazon Web Services/us-west-2
56aefcdc-testacc: Instance is pending. Waiting...
56aefcdc-testacc: Instance is now running
56aefcdc-testacc: Got public IP address: --.--.--.--. Deployed to Availability Zone: us-west-2c
56aefcdc-testacc: Waiting for the agent to contact...
ERROR: Action timed out```

Eventually the deployment times out and fails.

Unfortunately there is not much information to go on here.  Can you suggest either:
1) possible causes for this failure
2) ways to get more info / logging

Thanks

(Borja Burgos) #2

Hey Doug, is this an isolated occurrence or does this always happen when you try to provision a node?

(Doug Clark) #3

It happens every time. I’m using a VPC, subnet, igw and route table that I’ve defined - maybe there is something in those definitions that is causing this problem. I’ll try deploying a cluster that uses the default networking.

** Update **
So deploying a node cluster in AWS using the default VPC works fine. But for my use-case to work I need the cluster to be on our custom VPC. I’ll try and compare the AWS VPC / subnet / DHCP / ACL settings created by docker cloud with our settings. Can you share what is being run on the node in AWS while docker cloud is waiting for the agent to contact... - this might help me figure out what is failing with our network setup.