Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

"docker container top" fails with cryptic error regarding runc termination

I have Docker set up, including rootless mode, on a CentOS 8 Digital Ocean droplet. I am very new to this subject matter and am following along with Docker in a Month of Lunches and am now at the point where the reader is instructed to type in:

docker container run --interactive --tty diamol/base

Then the reader is instructed to open up another terminal, which I did, and type in:

docker container top [container id]

The command spits out the following:

Error response from daemon: runc did not terminate successfully: container_linux.go:187: getting all container pids from cgroups caused: lstat : no such file or directory
: unknown

Because I am a Docker neophyte, my ability to assist anyone reading to diagnose the problem is limited beyond providing what is typically asked for; however, I think it’s worth noting that the same thing happened when I tried the alpine:latest image, meaning it’s not specific to the book image. It also seems worth pointing out that the same thing does not happen when I repeat the same procedure above but with sudo.

Now, for the rest, as stated, I am using CentOS 8 on Digital Ocean. I used the get.docker.com script and followed the instructions for rootless mode (with the minor and most likely unimportant deviation that I tailored the instructions to fish rather than bash; $DOCKER_HOST has still been exported properly).

Specifically, here is the content of /etc/redhat-release:

CentOS Linux release 8.4.2105

Here’s the output of uname -a:

Linux metalicus 4.18.0-305.7.1.el8_4.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 29 21:55:12 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And last but not least here’s the output of docker version:

Client: Docker Engine - Community
 Version:           20.10.7
 API version:       1.41
 Go version:        go1.13.15
 Git commit:        f0df350
 Built:             Wed Jun  2 11:56:24 2021
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Context:           default
 Experimental:      true

Server: Docker Engine - Community
 Engine:
  Version:          20.10.7
  API version:      1.41 (minimum version 1.12)
  Go version:       go1.13.15
  Git commit:       b0f5bc3
  Built:            Wed Jun  2 11:54:48 2021
  OS/Arch:          linux/amd64
  Experimental:     false
 containerd:
  Version:          1.4.8
  GitCommit:        7eba5930496d9bbe375fdf71603e610ad737d2b2
 runc:
  Version:          1.0.0
  GitCommit:        v1.0.0-0-g84113ee
 docker-init:
  Version:          0.19.0
  GitCommit:        de40ad0

I’d be perfectly happy to attempt to supply whatever other details are needed to resolve the problem.