Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Docker EE not getting uninstalled

I followed this document for uninstallation of Docker EE from Ubuntu which shows that the Docker EE has been uninstalled but when I type “docker info” or “docker version”, I still get proper output. Instead, I was expecting it to throw an error such as docker is missing or with something similar meaning.

URL : https://docs.docker.com/ee/docker-ee/ubuntu/#uninstall-docker-engine---enterprise

I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue with Docker EE uninstallation like I did.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Hi, I shared the link which should mean that I have used the command that is mentioned in this link for installation of Docker EE.

I used the below command as mentioned in the URL I shared:

sudo apt-get purge docker-ee
``

Please share the output of dpkg -l | grep docker. It seems the os package was not uinstalled at all.

I get the result with the command “dpkg -l | grep docker”:

abc@ubuntu:~$ dpkg -l | grep docker
rc docker 1.5-1build1 amd64 System tray for KDE3/GNOME2 docklet applications
ii docker-ee-cli 5:19.03.5~3-0~ubuntu-bionic amd64 Docker CLI: the open-source application container engine

The main reason I am trying to uninstall docker is because the Server engine gets downgraded to 18 everytime I restart the machine (VM). In order to fix this, I have to re-install the Docker but whenever I restart the machine, the Server version gets downgraded. Any suggestion on this as well?

There you go. The docker cli is from the ee package 19.03.5 and the server is probably an os ubuntu package. You might want to remove them as well, to completly remove the docker packages on your system.

I removed both the packages i.e. docker & docker-ee-cli but when I do "docker version’, I still see the valid output i.e. both client and server versions are 19.03.11.

Any further suggestions?

For some reason, that docker package is still listing when I type “dpkg -l | grep docker”.

Haveing experience about how the apt package manager works woulnd’t hurt…
You asked to help for how to uninstall DockEE: done - it is removed from your system.

I am confident that you will find a way to get rid of the os level packages as well.
Good luck!