Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Docker Image with Database schema

(Ramkinkarpandey) #1

Hello,
Is it possible to spin a Cassandra container with keyspace and tables?

We are in development phase, team uses their local machine for hosting containers and testing their code. Database being shared between few components everyone need a consistent copy of database.

If we spin official copy of image it won’t contain our keyspace/ tables. I will spend time to create these but when it goes down this schema will be lost and have to do similar thing every single time, I run container.

So my question is

1. Is it possible to use official Cassandra image and add a layer on the top to build custom image which will have our own database pre-installed/ configured?

If not then how experienced users deal with such requirements?

Please advise.

Regards,

(David Maze) #2

If you’re starting from an official image and it’s set up like the other official database images, then no (for technical reasons).

Typical ways to approach this I’ve seen with other databases are to distribute a database dump in some form that can be restored at setup time, and to just run a shared (maybe read-only) database that everyone can use.

In Docker land, you have the one additional option of (a) start the database with some host directory bind-mounted into the container; (b) do the initial database load; © stop the database cleanly; then (d) distribute a copy of the directory as essentially a snapshot that can be bind-mounted into other container instances. How well this will work depends on the database (I don’t really have direct experience with Cassandra) but if things like host names wind up baked into the database image you might have trouble.

As a general rule, a container’s code and the data it stores need to be managed separately, and this is a good example of that. (This approach means your developers can run the same set of containers your production application uses, just with different backing data, which saves you some trouble if you update the production database but forget to also update the developer-oriented image with data baked in.)