Docker pull causes "Error response from daemon: unexpected EOF"

Hi,

since a few week we’re seeing regular errors when pulling Docker images for CI jobs. This was originally posted to https://travis-ci.community/t/docker-pull-fails-often/7137, but we found out it’s also reproducible locally.

Steps to reproduce

• Run docker pull catatnight/postfix

Expected result

Image is downloaded.

Actual result

Using default tag: latest
Error response from daemon: unexpected EOF

It doesn’t happen all the time. You might have to retry. It seems to fail less often with good internet connections and fails more often on busy CI infrastructure.

What can I do to debug this? I looked for similar reports in this forum but couldn’t find any. Any pointers are welcome :slight_smile:

Cheers

2 Likes

We’ve also been seeing this same issue for the last few days from multiple locations.

1 Like

we are now experiencing the same issue with docker pull postman/newman_ubuntu1404:3.8.3

I don’t know what changed but our CI builds are more reliable now it seems. I haven’t seen any Docker pull related errors the last few days.

I spoke to soon. The issues are back and worse than ever. I have to restart my build numerous times to get one lucky that passes.

Just started seeing these today off an on this morning, and now it seems 80% of the time it fails. Both from CI (Circle CI) and just trying to pull locally.

I haven’t seen any Docker pull related errors the last few days.
tellpizzahut

I recently have started getting them. The worst part is that the whole download starts from scratch instead of resuming from the location it failed at. Since I have a 2GB image, this is very bad.