Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Docker reset on Linux

(Jmnorris) #1

I have been advised by a Mac user to do a reset from the preferences window using the bomb icon. However, I don’t have a Mac; I have Ubuntu 16.04. I don’t find any Docker Gui at all–though it’s possible I’m looking in the wrong place. Is there a cil command that will do the same thing? Thank you. PS. My docker is 18.03.1-ce, build 9ee9f40 .

(Genesissarah) #2

The docker daemon binds to a Unix socket instead of a TCP port. By default that Unix socket is owned by the user root and other users can only access it using sudo. The docker daemon always runs as the root user.

If you don’t want to use sudo when you use the docker command, create a Unix group called docker and add users to it. When the docker daemon starts, it makes the ownership of the Unix socket read/writable by the docker group.
aws training in bangalore

(Jmnorris) #3

Thank you for your help. I got what I wanted by purging docker and deleting /etc/docker and /var/lib/docker .

I was using Lando over top Docker. Lando beta (they have no goldens yet) 39 works for me but 42 didn’t. Since I’m not accessing Docker directly but rather through Lando, I don’t know whether the root user thing was the issue.