Docker save/load performance

We ship our product exclusively as a collection of Docker images, some of which are rather large. Part of our build process docker save all of the images into a tar file, and then our product installer docker load that. Even with a fair bit of tuning to avoid duplicated large layers, this winds up being about 10 GB uncompressed and about 7 GB compressed.

Both the docker save and docker load steps tend to be really slow. Is there anything that can be readily done to speed them up?

We’ve essentially had this problem forever, but a typical setup calls docker load via Docker 1.8 on CentOS 7 with a 100 GB LVM volume as devicemapper Docker storage (on an AWS gp2 SSD EBS volume). Loading that 7 GB .tar.gz generally takes 20-30 minutes depending on the exact system. While the exact hardware setup can be out of our control, hints on better setups are still extremely useful.

What do iotop and top look like on the system while the docker load or docker save commands are running?

This does seem to be a bit slow:

>>> (7*1024.)/30/60
>>> (10*1024.)/30/60

In 30 minutes, it averages reading the compressed data at about 4mb/sec, and writing the uncompressed data at 5.6mb/sec. Is your cpu pegged during this operation?

Let’s run the experiment. Amazon m4.2xlarge (8 cores, 32 GB RAM) instance, CentOS 7, Docker 1.9.1. Set up with two gp2 EBS disks, a 32 GB root disk and a 100 GB disk dedicated to Docker devicemapper lvm. Ran docker-storage-setup to create the volume.

Meanwhile, I’ve built my docker save image tarball (11.4 GB uncompressed, 6.2 GB gzipped). 218 layers in total with the largest single layers being 2.7 GB, 1.4 GB, 1.4 GB (again), 1.0 GB, 0.5 GB.

While docker load is running:

• 100% CPU being used by docker, about 40-60 MB/s write I/O by docker-untar; a kworker occasionally spends 100% of its time in iowait according to iotop; then
  • the system looks mostly idle, with some occasional bursts in iotop of iowait for kworker and docker daemon, but with a load average above 2.0; then
  • a docker-applyLayer process intermittently appears, when it does, getting 120-240 MB/s write; iotop’s top-line summary says 20-120 MB/s write is happening but it’s not obviously attributable to any process; top says a docker process is spending 0-40% CPU

A hair under 9 minutes total. (Which is less than I had initially said.) That’s an average of 20 MB/s uncompressed data.

That doesn’t “feel” bad to me when I look at it that way. Are there tuning things that would improve it?

That’s a lot of layers to deal with. Can you try and optimize your Dockerfile to reduce the number of layers?

I know this is a rather old thread, but there are in fact ways to speed up the process:

1.) instead of saving each repo:tag individually, use a space seperated list of repo:tag elements as argument. As a result image layer’s will be deduplicated.
2.) use pigz, instead of gzip, to benefit from multithreading, The creation/extraction time can be further optimizied by using the --fast argument with pigz at the cost of the archive size.

The command might look like this:
docker image save ${list of repo:tags} | pigz --fast > ${target_path_to_archive}.tar.gz

3 Likes

Keep answering old questions, please. I am here to collect all the information. I have a solution in which I intentionally save a lot of images separately. I think I could benefit from pigz. I didn’t know about it.

It comes in handy when you have air-gaped environments and rely on “sneaker-net” or if you have a delivery pipeline that requires artefacts to be pulled thru stages, that do not allow other access than to an “exchange share” from the previous stage.

I was using bzip2. Switching to pigz made the save step about 6x faster for just 6% increase in file size. Thanks!

1 Like