Docker services unreachable after running for sometime

I am running services behind a haproxy server which runs in a docker container. After sometime, say a few days, some services would be unreachable. From ‘docker service ls’ command, all services seem to be up though. What could be the reason that causes the issue? Thanks.

docker service just says that the machine instance is up… how would u test that the application inside that instance is working?

for example… I can run a machine and add apache server… the machine could be running but apache could still be down.

1 Like

I have a comparable issue here.
docker service ls reports all my services as up.
However docker ps on all the nodes do not show any running containers.
If I inspect the containers local on the hosts I can see they all exited 5 hours ago, but the docker service commands still report everything as healthy. Just to be sure, I also checked with ps on the host and none of the processes are there.

The services had been running flawlessly for days. Luckily enough, I hadn’t promoted this setup to production just yet, but I can’t say this gives me any confidence in the reliability of docker swarm.

Thanks for your reply.

It seems to be issues with haproxy. The apache server is still running when the service becomes unreachable.

I have had HAProxy stop working on me as well… I didn’t debug it, not production, just restarted and it has run ok since (a couple weeks now)