Docker start service

I got that point long time ago. But the question is what is wrong in using it in the container? Is it such a hard constraint that it makes it impossible to consider using the pihole image with the build in tftp support?

Your response is exactl what I mean with:

Don’t worry, you won’t here again from me. Like I wrote our communication styles do not allign.

1 Like

I just relised I don’t need port=0 and I am sorry for that
the only thing is I still need nginx to be running but pihole uses a different web server
so I need ngnix to automaticlly start still

is there anyway to trace the orignal command that made the container, so I can use it again to make a new container

And I am really sorry this happened :cry: :worried:
Please don’t ban my account

Edit: you can’t use TFTP(PXE) and pihole together as pihole has dhcp issues and will not start

so I still need a way to automaticlly start the services

otherwise I need 3 seperate containers that have access to the same files
and then I need 3 commands to start the containers in my startup script for my raspberry pi, which is written in python, so all terminal command use os.system.

its more work for me if I have 3 containers. I need one container that does it all. dnsmasq, nginx and nfs

Edit 2:
why was I not told about docker exec
It resolves this problem

For three reasons at least

1. That is one of the first commands in any tutorial, so we probably suspected you knew about that
  2. docker exec is not for running services, but for inspecting the container, running short-lived processes and for development purposes…
  3. The most important reason is that it would not be “automatic”, so one could say, it would have been off-topic…

I quote:

You still need to run docker exec after every reboot. Supervisord and s6-init which I mentioned would run everything in the container automatically with a proper process tree. Since you didn’t like those (or I could not make you understand why I recommended those), I realized I could not help you. If docker exec is good enough for you despite the facts I mentioned above, then I am glad that you could find the solution.

Just to make clear, even if it is off-topic, but extremely important and related to the discussion: I often spend hours to read and answer questions, or just understand them and doing research to learn relevant technologies, reproducing issues before I send my reply, because I want to help, even if I don’t know the answer, but I want to find it together even at or after midnight because this is when I have a little time. Then in the reply I am trying to be careful with my words to be clear enough. It does not always work, but that “crazy amount of time” you was skeptic about before is not what you can see. It is what is required for us (not just me) to be here and help you for free instead of answering other questions, sleeping or working on our projects and our problems. This is the only time I explained it and I don’t intend to continue this (in fact) off-topic discussion.

Please, make sure you also work on your questions to be clear enough, be respectful and you will get people happily helping you when they have time. Current time in my timezone after midnight: 01:18 AM

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Installing Wave asks me for the password for the REST API