Dockerfile and volume mountpoins - files not visible on container start?

Hi all.

I am trying to start container from image created from Dockerfile https://github.com/orientechnologies/orientdb-docker/blob/master/2.1/Dockerfile . Overall when the image is build tar file with binaries is unpacked to /orientdb:

tar -xvzf orientdb-community-$ORIENTDB_VERSION.tar.gz -C /orientdb --strip-components=1

and then volumes mounted from the host are specified

VOLUME ["/orientdb/backup", “/orientdb/databases”, “/orientdb/config”]

When I run the container with command:

$ docker run --entrypoint=“server.sh” -v /tmp/config:/orientdb/config -v /tmp/backup:/orientdb/backup -v /tmp/databases:/orientdb/databases orientdb/orientdb

I see in docker logs that file /orientdb/config/orientdb-server-config.xml is not present and because of this orientdb service does not start. Once I login to the container (exec -it container_id bash) the file is there. Based on the documentation in https://docs.docker.com/v1.8/userguide/dockervolumes/ all files present in the image in /orientdb/{backup,config,databases} upon containers start/creation should be copied to /tmp/{backup,config,databases}. In my case orientdb-server-config.xml is in the image used and visible on the host in /tmp/config and on the docker container after I login to it but not when it starts for the first time.

Can someone help me with this?

$ docker info

Containers: 33
Server Version: 1.9.0
Storage Driver: aufs
Root Dir: /var/vcap/store/docker/docker/aufs
Backing Filesystem: extfs
Dirs: 656
Dirperm1 Supported: true
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Logging Driver: json-file
Kernel Version: 3.19.0-30-generic
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

$ docker version

Client:
Version: 1.9.0
API version: 1.21
Go version: go1.4.3
Git commit: 76d6bc9
Built: Tue Nov 3 19:20:09 UTC 2015
OS/Arch: linux/amd64

Server:
Version: 1.9.0
API version: 1.21
Go version: go1.4.3
Git commit: 76d6bc9
Built: Tue Nov 3 19:20:09 UTC 2015
OS/Arch: linux/amd64

BR,
Rafal.

Why use a volume for the config at all? Why not bake it directly into the image using COPY and re-build it if you need to change the configuration?

At any rate, it sounds like automatic volume behavior might be to blame here. Try building and running the image without using a volume for config, and then add it back if you’re 100% certain that you need it.