Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Enabling Kubernetes results in 2 identical contexts?

After enabling Kubernetes, I get 2 contexts (kubectl config get-contexts), using the same cluster & user, but with different names: “docker-desktop” (which is selected as the current context) and “docker-for-desktop”.

What’s the reason for this?

(this is with version 2.0.5.0 (35318))

I’m very curious about this as well. It’s confusing the heck out of me when trying to follow tutorials. Before ending up here I did some experimenting:

• Deleting either of these two contexts will work but only until Docker for Mac / Kubernetes is restarted. Then both contexts are re-generated.

• Fortunately, any other context you create and add is not destroyed by restarting the Docker for Mac / Kubernetes.

• The “docker-desktop” context is selected by default but most tutorials explicitly state that you should enable the “docker-for-desktop” context. I think it probably doesn’t matter which one you use but this is probably the biggest source of uncertainty for me. Why would I need to change the context? They’re exactly the same?

So if anybody can confirm that this is just a simple glitch and it doesn’t really matter which one you use when following along some tutorials, I’d apreciate it a bunch.