File access in mounted volumes extremely slow, CPU bound

@radmiraal Several weeks ago, I had read through the entire thread and had been keeping up with updates to this thread.

Buried in the beginning was a promise (that is, a statement of intent, not a statement of obligation) by a representative of the Docker team that they are working on this issue; that they intend to get this fixed for the first full release of Docker for Mac; and that their intended performance goal was to have better improvement than using shared volumes either VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox.

It also concerns me that this has been dropped from the official bug list, and it has been very quiet on this end. I get that this is probably a much bigger, complex technical issue. However, it feels like a cover-up. If the Docker team doesn’t intend to get this performance issue fixed by release time (or maybe, right now, there are no easy fixes), I’d rather have something said about this. A lot of people are eager to use this functionality, yet we need to have some sort of predictability because we’re going to base our own tech and development flow on this.

Someone else had also suggested that Docker bundle in Rsync or Unison with fswatch into Docker for Mac as an acceptable solution. I’m not sure about the headaches of bundling a software compiled from OCaml source, but it does fulfill the main objectives: ease of use, and faster performance than shared folders on VMs. This seems like an acceptable solution to me – and obviously, a lot of other people, considering that there is great interest in using these alternatives. If they were bundled, they would not be alternatives.

It seems like a case of “not invented here” or maybe, “tunnel vision” – getting fixated on some objective that is no longer as relevant. Or maybe, given alternatives like rsync and unison, this performance issue was deemed as not as critical to get this fixed before the end of the release. But what do I know? I can’t read minds or get inside the head of Docker. I mean, after all, that’s what communication is for.

Dear Docker Team,

Please let us know what’s going on with this bug and what you intend or not intend to do with it so that uncertainty in the community can be reduced.

Thank you,
Just Some Guy Who Uses Docker

6 Likes