Forwaring all TCP traffic from Docker bridge interface through SSH session with dynamic port forwarding

Hei,

I am trying to setup forwarding of all TCP traffic from Docker bridged network through SSH dynamic port forwarding (SOCKS5 proxy), but I feel myself a bit stuck. I some guidance and discussion around the task.

My use case is: We are a consultancy company that implements solutions based on a product where every process is running as Docker container. As a part of our work are are often connecting to customers services available over TCP in remote networks (database over JDBC is a typical example). We typically do not have a proper VPN access to the customers servers, but we can always rely on having SSH connection to customers server (this means being able to use dynamic port forwarding). We can’t presume that we can login as root user to remote servers, though.
We would really like to be able to run development environments on each persons machine insted of using one shared dev server on customers premises. That would means being able to access services over TCP in customers network from a machine that has SSH connection only. We would like this soltion to work independently of number and configuration of running containers.
Basically, we want to create a setup that would forward all TCP traffic from all Docker containers through SSH with dynamic port forwarding (SOCKS5 proxy) that is created by SSH session.
We would ideally prefer to also have a remote DNS resolution, but just traffic forwarding would be a wonderful starting point.

As for Docker service setup as for now we:

• Are using default Docker bridge network, and it is not possible for us to use Docker networking now
  • Are running the latest available versions of Docker service (we can rely on functions available in 1.11 now
  • Are modifying host OSs iptables

We are using Ubuntu 14.04 as OS on local server, but we can change to 16.04 as well.

My question is: What would be the best approach to solve it?

So far I have tried looking at:

• Redsocks: It depends on getting iptables on local server to work with both REDSOCKS and DOCKER / DOCKER-ISOLATION chains and I was not able to get it to work so far. Is it worth it going on looking into it?
  • Redsocks as a container: Seems promising, but it seemed that port of the SSH session was open only as 127.0.0.1 and localhost, and these hostnames were not available from redsocks container.
  • SSH VPN with tun/tap: Possible solution, but it presumes being able to login to remote servers as root and that is not always the case
  • Pipework: Seem promising, should I follow this way?

Here is the picture to illustrate current setup:

We want to get able to reach service that is available on Remote server 2 over port 1234 over TCP from all containers (1, 2, 3 and other in case they would arrive).
We would ideally prefer to get DNS resolved against remote DNS server as well.

Best regards,
Petr

1 Like

Hi Petr,

i have exactly the same issue here. I try to setup redsocks on a centos machine and redirect any traffic for 80/443 to the redsocks proxy. For my local centos machine this is working perfectly and i can do a curl for example without any proxy settings configured on the host. If i try to start a new container for example alpine and try to do a curl i got no response.

At the moment i have the following iptables rules and chains:
iptables -t nat -N REDSOCKS iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 0.0.0.0/8 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 127.0.0.0/8 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 169.254.0.0/16 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 172.16.0.0/12 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 192.168.0.0/16 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -d 240.0.0.0/4 -j RETURN iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 12346 iptables -t nat -A REDSOCKS -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 12346 iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp -j REDSOCKS

If someone here having a solution, i really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Regards e-bits