How do I reuse a port for the same container after 'docker-compose down'

Was: [Mosquito container no longer available on LAN after recreate container]

On a freshly started Docker, sudo docker-compose up -d results in a functioning MQTT broker that is accessible on the LAN on port 1883. However if I ‘down’ this container and then ‘up’ it again, it is no longer accessible on the LAN. Testing inside the container shows the service available on port 1883.
The only ways I have successfully gotten the broker accessible on the LAN again are:

• restart Docker (not really a realistic solution)
  • change the host port in the docker-compose.yml file before the next ‘up’ but this obviously is not a solution as all the clients expect to use 1883.

There must be something I’m missing. How do I recreate the container and be able to use the same port without having to restart Docker?

Compose file:

version: "3.8"

services:
  mqtt:
    image: eclipse-mosquitto
    container_name: mqtt
    ports:                                                                                                                                                           
      - 1883:1883                                                                                                                                                    
      - 8883:8883                                                                                                                                                    
    volumes:
      - ./config:/mosquitto/config
      - ./data:/mosquitto/data
      - ./log:/mosquitto/log                                                                                                             
    restart: always
    networks: 
      - iot-net

networks: 
  iot-net:
    driver: bridge
    name: iot-net

If it matters here is the mosquitto.conf file

persistence true
persistence_location /mosquitto/data/

log_dest file /mosquitto/log/mosquitto.log

listener 1883
allow_anonymous false
password_file /mosquitto/data/pass

Running Docker on Asustor NAS (Busybox) using latest docker and Mosquitto images.