How to remove <none> images after building

OPTION 1: using error handling (send error to /dev/null)

docker rmi $(docker images --filter "dangling=true" -q --no-trunc) 2>/dev/null

docker rmi $(docker images --filter “dangling=true” -q --no-trunc) command will try to remove all dangled images. Once it is cleaned (no more image left), it will throw error as docker rmi require at least one image name/id.

2>/dev/null will direct any error message to null, so it will do nothing if all image is cleaned up.

OPTION 1: (no error)

You can also try cleaning only when dangled image is available using if condition to avoid any error. Something like below:

if [ "$(docker images -f "dangling=true" -q | awk '{print $3}' | sort -u)x" != "x" ]
then
       docker rmi $(docker images --filter "dangling=true" -q --no-trunc)
fi

It is important to understand why you have intermediate untagged images showing as <none> <none> in order to avoid them since, as you have seen, you can’t remove them if they are in use.

The reason untagged images happen is because you built an image, then you changed the Dockerfile and built that image again and it reused some of the layers from the previous build. Now you have an untagged image which cannot be deleted because some of it’s layers are being used by a new version of that image.

The solution is to:

• Delete the new version of the image
  • Delete the untagged image and
  • Rebuild the new version of the image so that it owns all of the layers.

You will be left with a single tagged image that contains all of the layers of the previous untagged images and the new image.

~jr

1 Like

It won’t work if the ‘docker images -a’ list with different order in the future, however , the command can delete “<none>” tagged images below.

docker rmi $(docker images -a|grep "<none>"|awk '$1=="<none>" {print $3}')
4 Likes

Hi miniserver,
you can refer remove all images as below

You can refer link https://goo.gl/ke9pmf to details remove all none images

docker system prune will do the work. It will remove any unused images though. but I am sure, all worthy images should have been pushed to the registry so it should be okay to prune it, depending on your environment though.

If you are running Docker For Windows, the following will work:

echo off&for /f “delims=” %A in ('docker images -f “dangling=true” -q ') do docker rmi %A & echo on

To remove all images which aren’t associated with a running container:

docker image prune -a

The -a parameter is the crucial bit here.

If you want to force the action to occur without a confirmation prompt, you may add the -f parameter, like so:

docker image prune -af

Note: -af is the same as specifying -a and -f separately

If you are like me and keep trying out interactive terminal sessions on images all the time, you will see a lot of : images in the list. They are all linked to stopped containers that you used earlier. Cleanup containers and then cleanup images

docker container prune
docker image prune

This worked for me;

Shows all images, copy the ‘Image ID’ of the one you want to delete

sudo docker images

Command to delete, paste image id, without <> and hit enter

sudo docker rmi -f <$imageID>

##Visit your friends at;
www.shenko.org

On windows, create a new batch file and add the following command,
FOR /f “tokens=*” %%i IN (‘docker images -f “dangling=true” -q’) DO docker rmi %%i -f

1 Like

This works on my end. Removing all or unused images.

Docker rmi $(docker images -a -q)

use
docker rmi (docker images -f “dangling=true” -q )

docker rmi $(docker images -f dangling=true -q )

Removing the double quotes from the dangling options solves the problem

received the response while trying with this command. Tag and repositories might be linked to some active repositories.
Command:
docker rmi $(docker images -a|grep "<none>"|awk '$1=="<none>" {print $3}')
Response:

Error response from daemon: conflict: unable to delete f039e1783673 (cannot be forced) - image has dependent child images

sometimes we may need “f” for forcing to remove containers

I’ve came across the same problem and have written a solution on Stack Overflow, which I will reproduce here.

You can label the intermediate images and docker image prune those images based on this label.

Dockerfile (using multi-stage builds)

FROM node as builder
LABEL stage=builder

FROM node:dubnium-alpine

After you’ve built you image, run:

$ docker image prune --filter label=stage=builder

For Automation Servers (e.g. Jenkins)

If you are running the builds in an automation server (e.g. Jenkins), and want to remove only the intermediate images from that build, you can

1. Set a unique build ID as an environment variable inside your Jenkins build
  2. Add an ARG instruction for this build ID inside your Dockerfile
  3. Pass the build ID to docker build through the --build-arg flag
FROM node as builder
ARG BUILD_ID
LABEL stage=builder
LABEL build=$BUILD_ID

$ docker build --build-arg BUILD_ID .
$ docker image prune --filter label=stage=builder --filter label=build=$BUILD_ID

If you want to persists the build ID in the image (perhaps as a form of documentation accessible within the container), you can add another ENV instruction that takes the value of the ARG build argument. This also allows you to use the similar environment replacement to set the label value to the build ID.

FROM node as builder
ARG BUILD_ID
ENV BUILD_ID=$BUILD_ID
LABEL stage=builder
LABEL build=$BUILD_ID

This worked for me :slight_smile:
docker rmi <image_ID> -f
Then you’ll see:
Deleted: sha256:e23dfs4hlkjlkjsdflksjdfosdflksdjf2rf239fi932i09329f0i2390if2903f0239f

sudo docker image rm cd14cecfdb3a -f

--force-rm seems to prevent leaving <none>:<none> images when I use docker-compose to build images like so:

docker-compose build --force-rm

I don’t know why it works. The doc (https://docs.docker.com/compose/reference/build/) says --force-rm always remove intermediate containers but not images.

This works for me.
docker image prune -f