Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Installation Instructions for Docker Universal Control Plane Beta

(Banjot) #1

Installation Instructions are located here.

Use these instructions to download and install UCP Beta. The pre-requisites for this environment are:

• Hosts installed with Docker Engine 1.9 or higher
  • linux kernel 3.16 (for multi-host network support)
  • a network that allows swarm hosts to communicate with one another (ports and protocols are listed in the quickstar)
  • enough storage to store your docker images for your cluster

(Banjot) #2

Anyone out there installed? Anyone got feedback on how it went? On a Scale of 1 (bad) to 5 (good), how was it?

(Joshnw) #3

Installed it out on digital ocean.

Installation of master and slave nodes went off without a hitch. (3-node cluster)

Used the just released docker-machine version 0.5.0 (04cfa58) and docker client 1.9.0 on OSX installed via the docker toolbox.

Received no errors running the installation instructions. For clarity I would add a note to capture the SHA1 fingerprint that is printed during the installation of the ‘default’ node. Also it would have been nice to be able to change the default user name from admin to something else via an environment variable (the password was settable).

ran the commands by hand so can’t say if they would have run properly as the implied shell script.

installation score = 4

(Banjot) #4

[quote=“joshnw, post:3, topic:4035”]
For clarity I would add a note to capture the SHA1 fingerprint that is printed during the installation of the ‘default’ node.
[/quote] good catch on this. There’s a feature (documented in the online help for running bootstrap) that allows you to run
orca-bootstrap fingerprint which spits out the SHA1 hash from the installation process so you don’t have to capture it only on the first install.

(Nate Aune) #5

I’m not seeing the Docker UCP when I go to Settings -> Licenses. Is there something else I need to do to activate it? I see a link for a 30 day trial, but when I click on that, it says that it’s for the Docker Trusted Registry, not for the UCP.

(Banjot) #6

This was a misprint in the email that was sent out recently. You won’t see a license key for UCP because it doesn’t need one, yet. You should however see the repos for the org called dockerorca. That along with your ability to pull the orca-bootstrap container and perform an install will be how you know you have access to the beta. Sorry for the confusion.

(Thetooth) #7

Installed in the boot2docker image on windows and to digital ocean, one thing to note is if like me you had used docker-machine to create your droplet, you’ll be on a 3.13 kernel which is too low for the installer to accept, upon upgrading the kernel in such a setup you will loose your docker daemon and cloud config. To fix this just run docker-machine upgrade [machine] and it’ll fix up the install.

Other than that one thing that needs to be added is a way to change the frontend port(443), the default ports on my digital ocean instance were already in use because it’s a “production” machine, it would be very handy to run it on an alternative port or better yet don’t publish the ports but allow the user to setup the network.

(Reachkraj) #8

Tried on the **joining **a second node within the same instance . I guess the installation docs say to do in same docker instance . its kinda doesn’t work … it fails stating “same container name cannot be added again”.Could you please revisit in the joining installation docs again

(Banjot) #9

good feedback! We’ll consider making the external port configurable at install time.

(Banjot) #10

@reachkraj the instructions state:

Repeat the install for each node you want to add.

Would this be more clear if it said:

Run the bootstrap command on the additional nodes you want to add.

Or did you have a alternate recommendation?

(Aghendrikc) #11

Well, got it running in a two node setup with out much sweat (had to force a kernel upgrade on the one machine to get 3.16).

Using docker engine 1.9.1 (instructions mentioned 1.9.0rc1, above mentions 1.9.0rc2…so I just went with the latest :wink: )

Installation score = 5

Can’t really fault anything with the installation - pretty clear and actually easy.
Now that things are up and running, I’m starting to generate some questions about operations though - will feed those upstream later.

Regards

(Ralph Kincade) #12

yeah I would have to give it a install score of 2 I keep getting this error even on a brand new install of ubuntu

this only happens when I attempt to install a 3rd controller

his engine will join UCP and advertise itself with host address 192.168.56.39
INFO[0000] Verifying your system is compatible with UCP
INFO[0061] Starting local swarm containers
INFO[0063] Starting Orca Controller replica containers
FATA[0073] :grin:

(Ralph Kincade) #13

FATA[0073] client**: etcd cluster is unavailable or misconfigured**

(Ralph Kincade) #14

what log should I look at to get more info on this ?

(Funkytaco) #15

Other than that one thing that needs to be added is a way to change the frontend port(443), the default ports on my digital ocean instance were already in use because it’s a “production” machine, it would be very handy to run it on an alternative port or better yet don’t publish the ports but allow the user to setup the network.

I agree with this. Why take the default HTTPS port? I now need to spin up another host just for UCP? I don’t control our internal hosts, so this would require alot of hoops to jump through in our organization, just because I can’t switch the HTTPS port for the UCP.

Thanks.