New Docker install fails to implement getting-started; can't delete images

• Windows 10 Pro 2004 (v10.0.19042)
  • App version - v20.10.7, WSL 2 backend

When trying to delete the faulty image, I get an error:
Error invoking remote method ‘Docker remove image’ Error HTTP code 409 conflict - unable to remove repository reference ‘docker/getting-started:latest’ (must force) container xxx is using its referenced image.

Due to really bad internet connectivity, I found this:

in repo git/alpine
Cloning into ‘getting-started’…
error: RPC failed; curl 92 HTTP/2 stream 5 was not closed cleanly before end of the underlying stream
error: 7519 bytes of body are still expected
fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
Cloning into ‘getting-started’…
error: RPC failed; curl 92 HTTP/2 stream 5 was not closed cleanly before end of the underlying stream
error: 5466 bytes of body are still expected
fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed

How can I remove the docker/getting-started and alpine/git local images, and start over?

This tells you why:

So, either force-delete the image or first remove the container.

In addition to @avbentem

• With docker ps -a you will get a list of all containers - running and stopped and the images they are based on
  • With docker container rm <containerid> you can delete a stopped container defined by its container-id
  • With docker container prune you can delete all stopped containers
  • With docker image prune you can delete all unused images that have are tagged with <none> (⇐ simplified version of what … prune is doing)
1 Like

Many thanks, I’ve deleted multiple containers and done an image pull (supposedly completed). I’m a newb, so I’m learning everything at once, and nothing makes much sense yet :).