No space left on device error

Same issue on Docker version 1.11.1-beta14 (build: 8670) and MacOS version 10.11.3. My Docker.qcow file also stopped at 19Go. Does anyone have a solution to increase the limit without deleting existing images ?

1 Like

Using “Version 1.11.1-beta14 (build: 8670)”

Same issue, it’s happening at 15GB for me.
Work around is to delete the qcow2 file and restart Docker app
Note: you are losing all your images.

I also noticed that deleting docker images “docker rmi xxxxxxx” is not decreasing the size of this file

1 Like

I’m also seeing “No space left on device” suddenly. My Docker.qcow2 file is 62G. Is there a way to fix this without blowing away every single existing image?

Edit: Actually I was able to free up space and get going again by removing unused images/containers:
docker rm $(docker ps -q -f 'status=exited')
docker rmi $(docker images -q -f "dangling=true")

8 Likes

Thanks murz… that solution actually worked for me. At least for now. It didn’t change the size of the qcow2 file though. Mine is 19 GB.

Update: That didn’t last long. Got the same error again after trying to build a new project. :frowning: I don’t want to loose all my containers. Everything takes a while to rebuild.

Just for clarity, is there a definitive answer on how to increase the size of the of the image storage in the mac beta? Is it as simple as delete

1. rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker. driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
  2. Restart docker
  3. qemu-img resize ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker. driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2 +10G

Where the size increase can be changed by modifying the “+10G”.

I’m aware this wipes all images, but is there anything else which needs to be done or is that the complete set of steps?

2 Likes

I had this error and this SO post helped.

I had a fair amount of orphaned volumes and cleaned them up with:

docker volume rm $(docker volume ls -qf dangling=true)
11 Likes

I’m running into size issues too, it would be great to have a little UI that shows you what this space is being taken up with (and links to commands or a page that explains what to run to remove old containers / images etc)

Same issue, Docker.qcow2 is 18GB.

Docker version 1.12.0-rc2, build 906eacd, experimental

Same issue here, Docker.qcow2 is 19GB

Docker version is 1.12.0-rc2-beta17 (build: 9779) ff18c0c63c5ff3c4a4a925d191d5592d655779d7

This worked for me! .

Same issue. qcow2 file was 20+gb, so I removed it. Upon re-running my 2 (small!) containers, it ballooned back to 8gb and then stabilized. I upgraded to rc3 today and it then jumped to 14gb, where it’s now sitting.

Docker version 1.12.0-rc3, build 91e29e8, experimental

rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
restart docker

Worked for me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Resize the image after it was created won’t work. You can check the result by running a df -h on any container: docker run --rm alpine df -h. You can see the space left remains the same (about 60G).

In order to increase the image storage.

1. Create a new “template” image with desired size: qemu-img create -f qcow2 ~/data.qcow2 120G where the 120G is my new size.
  2. Replace the default docker template /Application/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/moby/data.qcow2 with your brand new ~/data.qcow2 (I’ve saved the original just in case)
    2.1 This data.qcow2 is the initial image which is copied to mentioned path ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
  3. rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
    3.1 Unfortunately you have to wipe all your docker data as stated before
  4. restart docker
  5. Check disk free: docker run --rm alpine df -h
1 Like

I deleted the file as described. However, I did an export of the images I wanted to retain before doing so. Then i imported the images after the delete. Worked great.

Same thing happened on one of my Linux boxes. So not strictly Mac related.

@quasiben’s suggestion worked perfectly:

1 Like

I have the same issue as above mentioned, tried thousands of things over the internet, no success!, as it turns out I changed my docker storage driver from devicemapper to aufs and everything now works like a charm.

I fixed this by manually removing some images. Use docker images to list all the images you have stored and docker rmi <image_name> to remove them. http://stackoverflow.com/a/30605040/4249632

I found that qemu-img was not already available on my machine. I was able to obtain it by brew install qemu.

You can use the one bundled with Docker.app. It’s in ‘/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/qemu-img’

This worked like a charm for me. Thanks!