Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Node not joining master

(Stephen Lawrence) #1

I ran through the installation instructions but for some reason my additional node is not joining. When I visit the Dashboard it only shows 1 node.

Here are the commands I used:

docker-machine create -d virtualbox --virtualbox-memory “2049” orcamaster
docker-machine env orcamaster
eval “$(docker-machine env orcamaster)”

docker run --rm -it --name ucp
-e REGISTRY_USERNAME=myusername
-e REGISTRY_PASSWORD=mypassword
-e REGISTRY_EMAIL=myemail
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
dockerorca/ucp install
–swarm-port $SWARM_PORT

docker-machine create -d virtualbox --virtualbox-memory “2049” orcaslave
dm env orcaslave
eval "$(docker-machine env orcaslave)"
docker run --rm -it --name ucp
-e REGISTRY_USERNAME=myusername
-e REGISTRY_PASSWORD=mypassword
-e REGISTRY_EMAIL=myemail
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
dockerorca/ucp join
–interactive
–swarm-port $SWARM_PORT

Main Screen 1 node but 4 are connected
(Banjot) #2

Can you send the output after you ran the commands above? Were they successful?

have you checked your logs on the ucp-swarm-join or ucp-swarm-manager containers running on the master node?
docker logs ucp-swarm-join
docker logs ucp-swarm-manager

One item to note is that docker running on each swarm node must have a unique docker ID. If you cloned the VM running docker, swarm may not be able to distinguish between the master and the node and will show a node count =1 because both nodes have the same ID. You can check this by running docker info on each node and compare the output on the line

ID:

To change the ID, remove the file
/etc/docker/key.json
and then restart your docker daemon on the secondary node.

(Rajgw) #3

I too had the same problem and your suggestion of removing key.json file and rebooting the docker daemon resolved the problem for me.

(Dadoherty) #4

I too have this same problem. Is there any way to change that id from the vagrant file? I have a single Vagrant file that starts all 3 of my hosts for me.

(Dadoherty) #5

I used this to do it from the vagrantfile in a script that runs always

rm -f /etc/docker/key.json
/etc/init.d/docker restart

However, I am concerned as to what will happen if the vms get shut down and then restarted. Will UCP still work if the docker ID has changed?

(Dadoherty) #6

I still cannot see the second node when after I connect to it. I notice that UCP is using eth0 as its main network interface. Since that ip is the same on both of my ducp machines, I cannot get the node to talk to the master, even though I have given them another ip address on eth1. Is there a way to tell UCP to use a specific network interface? I would like to use eth1 as the ip addresses are different for the ducp1 and ducp2 vagrant boxes.

(Dadoherty) #7

solved it. My apologies. I had both configuration and network problems here that prevented this from working. My public network in vagrant was configured wrong. and my laptop was on a different subnet because of my wifi router. It is all working now.