Pull new poste.io image

I have this error when intented pull new image poste:
failed to register layer: failed to Lchown “/usr/lib/node_modules/Haraka/node_modules/simple-lru-cache/.npmignore” for UID 1700577773, GID 1010544492 (try increasing the number of subordinate IDs in /etc/subuid and /etc/subgid): lchown /usr/lib/node_modules/Haraka/node_modules/simple-lru-cache/.npmignore: invalid argument

Docker is written in Go, not NodeJS. What exactly did you do when you got the error message? Please, share commands or anything relevant.

Hello @burtiraven ,

could you please share how are you pulling the image.?
using dockerfile or compose?

error appears when put docker pull analogic/poste.io thanks!

It looks like you are running either docker in rootless mode, or enabled the userns-remap mode.

It doesn’t look like an error that could be possible with a normal out-of-the-box docker installation.

Please share the output of the commands docker version and docker info + the content of /etc/docker/daemon.json file (if it exists).

Paused: 0
  Stopped: 4
 Server Version: 24.0.0-rc.1
 Storage Driver: vfs
 Logging Driver: json-file
 Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
 Cgroup Version: 1
 Plugins:
  Volume: local
  Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
  Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
 Swarm: inactive
 Runtimes: io.containerd.runc.v2 runc
 Default Runtime: runc
 Init Binary: docker-init
 containerd version: 2806fc1057397dbaeefbea0e4e17bddfbd388f38
 runc version: v1.1.5-0-gf19387a
 init version: de40ad0
 Security Options:
  apparmor
  seccomp
   Profile: builtin
 Kernel Version: 5.15.0-52-generic
 Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
 OSType: linux
 Architecture: x86_64
 CPUs: 5
 Total Memory: 4.657GiB
 Name: ~redacted~
 ID: 84827a87-0c83-4e9b-8683-2bf2bb0bc189
 Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
 Debug Mode: false
 Experimental: false
 Insecure Registries:
  127.0.0.0/8
 Live Restore Enabled: false

Daemon.json not exist sorry

I must admit the output of docker info does not look like I expected it to look like. As data_root is pointing to /var/lib/docker, It is less likely to be docker in rootless mode. Since there is no /etc/docker/daemon.json it probably also does not use the userns-remap feature (unless the systemd configuration was modified and userns-remap was enabled there).

Are you running docker inside a lxc container?

Another oddity: the vfs storage driver is used. According docs it is the least efficient, when it comes to speed and saving disk space, and the most important part: it is not mend to be used in production!

Most systems use overlay2 by default, which is the most stable an efficient storage driver. There must be a reason why your installation is not using it.

It is a vps without kvm license (this provider charges separately) so I guess so, poste.io I have it installed, try to recreate the container to the last image and there appears the error, neither with ssh in docker pull or nothing, the docker works fine, I just can not update it, greetings :slight_smile:

I realised I didn’t notice “failed to register layer” and I thought you also ran a container not just pulled the image. Good that @alishah730 and @meyay understood it :slight_smile:

I must point out though that you are using an RC version of Docker so Docker was most likely installed the wrong way. RC (Release Candidate) versions are not stable yet. Combining this fact with others that @meyay mentioned can be a straight way to Docker not working properly.

Can you tell more us about how Docker was installed? Was it already installed on the VPS or did you install it?

No problem my friend, Docker installed for my im very noob with Docker, sorry, you have a tutorial well! Thanks

Uninstalled docker-ce docker-ce-cli and removed repositories and installed stable branch reboot and same problem

From what I read on the internet it is a uid limit problem in a lxc container, I will proceed to backup the poste and create a kvm server.

Yeah! server with kvm and overlay2 system with poste recovrred data in last new version, great and thanks a lot!!

1 Like