"Redundancy / mirror" a Docker container to another server or Raspberry Pi/NUC?

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum, servers, and dockers. A few weeks ago I set up an Unraid home server with a couple of dockers like; MariaDB, NextCloud, Plex, etc.

Sorry if there already is a post about this but I couldn’t find any since I’m unsure about what solution to search for so that I can research it. If anyone could point me in the right direction for some YouTube tutorials, forum posts, or articles I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I would like to set up BitWarden for password management but I would feel much better if there was some sort of “redundancy”: If the power goes out where my server is (no UPS yet) or I’m out of the country and my server goes down for any reason I would like to have for example another server, Intel NUC or a Raspberry Pi that automatically wakes up/takes over for the mirrored Docker container that just went down, so I’m not locked out of everything temporarily.

Your use case with wake on lan and mirrored containers is entirely out of the scope of docker, docker swarm or kubernetes.

There is a reason why multi host orchestrators like swarm and kuberenetes exist: you can create a 3 node master setup to compansate the outage of one of its nodes. Though, you would need to put the volumes on a remote share (which would shift the bottleneck from node availability to storage availabilty), a storage cluster like ceph/glusterfs or a cloud native storage that takes care of replication iteself like storageos/portworx. Whichever storage type you use, you need to make sure that every node is able to use the storage, as a container could be respawned on any of the nodes. I am running bitwarden since maybe 2 years stable in such an environment without any unplaned downtime.

Pick which 2 out of 3 objectives are the ones you want to achive: easy to setup, cheap, reliable
The orchestrator level solution is easy to setup and reliable, though not realy cheap to achive.
If you want cheap and reliable, prepare yourself for a complicated solution (which you still have to develop)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. I will look into:

• Ceph/glusterfs
  • Storageos/portworx
    before posting any follow up questions.

Complicated = more fun solving those puzzles. Have a good one!