Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Resolved: spring gem issues deploying and running a service after an auto-build


(Tom Kazakov) #1

Guys, I did something wrong with the repo auto-building/deploying feature. It builds the container successfully but then after the service deployment it runs and stops with this in logs:

printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510690697Z /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/path_support.rb:50:insplit_gem_path’: undefined method split' for ["/usr/local/bundle"]:Array (NoMethodError) printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510784842Z from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/path_support.rb:32:ininitialize’
printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510802679Z from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.2.0/rubygems.rb:351:in new' printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510817621Z from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.2.0/rubygems.rb:351:inpaths=‘
printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510848116Z from /usr/src/app/bin/spring:11:in <top (required)>' printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510864148Z from bin/rails:3:inload’
printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.511168409Z from bin/rails:3:in <main>' :3:in `’

As you can see I’m building a rails app (Rails 5.0, Ruby 2.3.0, running on puma, db’s on sqlite); the node is on AWS EC2.

I had multiple pushes/builds/deploys (a few dozens) from my GitHub repository but at some point (possibly after a few service relaunches and/or connecting repo at the Hub at some time) the setup became somehow messed up.

At first only a specific tag (namely “develop”, and I didn’t set it up) kept working as a target deployment tag for the service, and my “latest” tag began working as described above. Then all tags (both existing and newly created) have stopped functioning properly.

I can tell that the setup is still fine in general because I’m able to locally build, tag and push an image to the repo, then deploy a working service from it. But each redeploy initiated with push and auto-build is broken.

I’ve tried deleting/adding repository both from Hub and from Docker Cloud — no luck.
I’ve added and changed tags and tag rules — also nothing.

Please advise on what should I try next!


(Sudhinnationstar) #2

We had a similar issue and noticed that the spring gem was creating the problem. See the same in the stacktrace above.

printerino-561f940a-1 | 2016-03-01T21:28:31.510848116Z from /usr/src/app/bin/spring:11:in <top (required)>'

Not sure what got pushed recently to that, once we removed it from the Gemfile, things started working fine. We’ve adopted this as a temporary solution until we find the root cause.


(Tom Kazakov) #3

Thank a lot, that did the trick!

I’d still like to know to learn what’s wrong with the spring gem. :0)


(Sudhinnationstar) #4

Even we wanted to check; parked it for now as we are chasing other high priority things.


(Tom Kazakov) #5

Yes, of course, I can see that. Please let me know if you stumble upon some explanation!