Sysbox-runc native support now that Docker has bought Nestybox?

Hello world,

According to this link Unable to start container with sysbox runtime after kernel update. · Issue #596 · nestybox/sysbox · GitHub it seems sysbox is on the cusp of some changes… switching over to idmapped and deprecating shiftfs.

I believe kernel 5.19 added ID-mapped-mount support for overlayfs (need to double-check). If true, then we will adjust sysbox to use ID-mapped-mounts for the container’s rootfs too, and at that point ID-mapped-mounts would essentially replace shiftfs for all practical purposes.

However I have not been able to find any discussion of how or when this is being implemented.

I appreciate any updates on this topic.

I have since read that Docker has bought nestybox, so is there a roadmap to include this in the next Docker releases?

Cesar has been kind enough to respond to clear this up: Unable to start container with sysbox runtime after kernel update. · Issue #596 · nestybox/sysbox · GitHub

assuming that in fact overlayfs supports ID-mapped-mounts, this will be included in the ~v0.7 release of Sysbox. Not sure on the timeline yet, likely ~Feb 2022.
In any case, overlayfs support for ID-mapped-mounts is a “nice-to-have”, but not a “must-have” as mentioned in my comment above.