Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

UCP 1.0.1 now available!

(Vivek Saraswat) #1

We are pleased to announce the first GA patch update to Universal Control Plane, v1.0.1! You can upgrade from your existing 1.0 deployment or you can install a new 1.0.1 deployment.

More info on this latest UCP release is available in the updated release notes.

Some of the changes in UCP version 1.0.1:

• Upgraded Swarm to 1.1.3
  • Can provide one-time credentials to deploy a container from a private registry in UI
  • Several fixes to only show containers to users with permissions to see them
  • Usernames and team names are transformed to be url-compatible
  • Several improvements to form validations
  • Several usability improvements on the Containers, Applications, and Teams screens
  • Hide dashboard overview from non-admins
  • Renamed ‘Roles’ to ‘Permissions’
  • Ability to enable Swarm experimental features during installation
  • Numerous other improvements and bug fixes

Please update to the newest version of Universal Control Plane, and we welcome any feedback here on the forums or via your Docker field rep.

(Campbech) #2

Hi Vivek,

Is there any plan to make the integration of UCP into swarm a little more seamless? Right now UCP seems to be a special snowflake when it comes to setup. For instance, when I create a swarm cluster I can point my docker client at the manager with the --swarm flag… eval $(docker-machine env --swarm swarmManager) …but UCP seems to hide the Swarm Manager which makes this not possible. Instead I need to go through the trouble of downloading the bundle via the GUI and sourcing the environment configuration from there. My expectation would be that UCP provides a GUI experience on top of swarm such that I could add it to an already created swarm cluster. I already have a swarm setup script that works nicely for what I’m working on, but right now I am re-writing it for UCP (kind of a pain). Any info would be nice, thanks!

If this isn’t the right place for this comment, please let me know where the right place is.

(Vivek Saraswat) #3

Hi campbech, the idea is in fact for UCP to mange Swarm in as seamless a manner as possible. UCP stands up its own Swarm cluster for a number of reasons–built-in TLS for comm security, built-in high availability, and a preconfigured key-value store for node discovery. The tradeoff is that at the moment this precludes adding UCP on top of an existing Swarm cluster; however, that is something we are looking at for the future.

That said, let us know if we can help with the UCP setup script. Should hopefully be fairly straightforward to use the UCP tool for installation and joins in the script, but if it’s not we would love to know.