Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

UCP Installation error

(Spericorn) #1

I am getting this error while I installing UCP using docker install command, please check the error below,

:~$ sudo docker run --rm -it docker/ucp install
INFO[0000] Verifying your system is compatible with UCP
FATA[0000] Missing docker.sock. You must run the bootstrap container with “-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock”

Please provide me a solution for this.

(Vivek Saraswat) #2

Hi spericorn,

The actual default install command is a bit longer:

docker run --rm -it -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock --name ucp docker/ucp install -i

You can find more on this in Step 5 #2 of the Quickstart Guide (http://ucp-beta-docs.s3-website-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/installation/#step-5-install-the-ucp-controller)

(Spericorn) #3

Hi Vsaraswat,

First of all Thank you for your reply, I have ran “docker run --rm -it -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock --name ucp docker/ucp install -i” command, but
Its not working, getting error like this,

INFO[0000] Verifying your system is compatible with UCP
FATA[0000] Existing UCP containers detected. Either use --fresh-install or upgrade

Is it possible to configure Docker with UCP in local machine? as this http://ucp-beta-docs.s3-website-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/installation/#step-5-install-the-ucp-controller link referring AWS.

Please provide best solution.

(Vivek Saraswat) #4

Have you previously installed UCP on your system? You can check this by running docker ps and seeing if any containers which start with “ucp” show up onthe system. If you have previously installed UCP, you can use the same install listed above command but add --fresh-install at the beginning to wipe the system clean and put in a new UCP install.
You may also want to remove any extra volumes on the system in case they were left over from the old install. You could do this with “docker volume rm $(docker volume ls -q)” Bear in mind this could remove other volumes on that machine as well.

You can definitely install UCP on a local machine. You will need a Linux OS running on the machine, or you will need some software that can create Linux VMs for you locally (e.g. VMware Fusion, VirtualBox, etc.). Officially UCP supports RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu as shown in the quickstart guide.

(Spericorn) #5

Hi,

Thank you for your valuable information, now my UCP installed successfully.

Now, I am getting another one error “Cannot connect to the Docker daemon.
Is the docker daemon running on this host?”.

I think, its because of Local Ip address issue as I configured not in
static IP address. My, local machine IP address has been changing often.

Can you suggest the way to fix this issue??

Thanks & Regards,

Rajesh B K