Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

UCP swarm conflicts with docker-machine

(Lance Andersen) #1

Are there any plans in the roadmap to make UCP compatible with an existing swarm created with docker-machine
I know it’s probably possible if I manually create all the containers, but I’m looking for something along the lines of a option in the installer or equivalent.

(Vivek Saraswat) #2

Hi Lance, at the moment we require UCP to serve as default provisioning for Swarm. However it is something we may look into in the future.

(Lox99) #3

When you say “we” what does that mean? Because docker-machine is the default mechanism for installing docker hosts. Are you guys working with the docker-machine team to resolve and document this?

It would seem very strange to pick the same port as the default docker daemon uses (2376). At the very least it makes it impossible to do a standard UCP install on a docker-machine created host.

(Vivek Saraswat) #4

Hi Lox99, which problem are specifically talking about resolving? Lance’s question above was about making UCP compatible with an existing Swarm. UCP needs to stand up its own Swarm cluster due to TLS and certs. However, this is something we (UCP team) may look at for the future.

If I understand your question correctly, it is more about using docker-machine hosts with UCP. You can do actually do this, but as you point out since the docker daemon uses port 2376, so you have to use --swarm-port [port] when installing UCP (where the port is anything not in use, including 2376). We’ll look to make this process easier in the future.