Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Using "move" within mounted volume fails on Windows Server 2019 Core with FSRM (File Server Resource Manager) feature

First time posting on this forum.

The issue

I am using Docker EE (version 19.03.2, build c92ab06ed9) on a Windows Server 2019 Core and I noticed an odd behavior when attempting to move a file or a folder within a Windows Server Core container’s mounted volume. The problem appears after I installed the FSRM (File Server Resource Manager) windows feature on the host and create at least one quota on a folder (any folder, not necessarily a mounted volume one).

Steps to reproduce

1. Run a Windows Server Core from Docker’s image mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:ltsc2019 with a mounted volume.

2. Install the FSRM windows feature on the host, using PowerShell:
PS C:\>Install-WindowsFeature -Name FS-Resource-Manager
Optional: reboot the host (was needed to make the following PowerShell command work).

3. Create a new quota on any folder on the host (ex. C:\Test) using the PowerShell’s New-FsrmQuota command:
PS C:\> New-FsrmQuota -Path "C:\Test" -Description "Limit usage to 100MB." -Size 100MB

4. To test, connect interactively to a command console on the running container from step 1 with:
docker exec -it <container name> cmd

5. Change to the directory corresponding to the mounted volume and create a new text file and a new folder:
cd <path to mounted volume folder within container>
echo Test > test.txt
mkdir Test

6. Try to move the file:
move test.txt c:\test.txt

This will produce the following error:

The system cannot find the path specified.
        0 file(s) moved.

7. Try to move the folder:
move Test c:\Test

This will produce the following error:

Access is denied.
        0 dir(s) moved.

Note: to copy a file/folder from or to the mounted volume, delete it or even append to the file works, only attempts to move the file/folder within the mounted volume seems to cause the issue. My guess is there is some conflict with the added properties on files/folders to handle FSRM quota feature from the host.

It seems that as soon as there is a quota defined on a host’s folder, the described issue occurs. To fix, I had to remove the FSRM feature and reboot the server, after that the move command worked again within mounted volume.

So for now, I cannot use quota on the server, hopefully someone can shed some light on what’s actually going on with this, thanks.