Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Using remote desktop to run linux on chromebook

I am trying to run a unix gui on my chromebook using windows remote desktop

I am using the container image frxyt/xrdp

the documentation for this image is https://hub.docker.com/r/frxyt/xrdp
after installing docker, I entered

docker run --rm -p 33890:3389 frxyt/xrdp:cinnamon

after a lot of activity the command stopped without reentering bash

I then launched microsoft remote desktop, but I am unsure how to connect to my container.

clicking on the + icon at the top right, I am prompted for some information

I know the default user name and password are debian and ChangeMe. but don’t know what to do next.

I was advised to use this image on the r/crostini forum

Brian

You can set up remote access to your Mac, Windows, or Linux computer.

On your computer, open Chrome.
In the address bar, type remotedesktop.google.com/access.
Under “Set up Remote Access,” click Download Download page.
Follow the onscreen directions to download and install Chrome Remote Desktop.
You may have to enter your computer password to give Chrome Remote Desktop access. You may also be prompted to change security settings in Preferences.

My understanding of the frxyt/xrdp instructions was that you used the same computer to run the docker image and the remote desktop client. So you wouldn’t need to set up remote access on another computer. The rdp client would be just a way of communicating with the container.

All I really want to do is run a linux gui on my chromebook. But I have yet to see idiotproof instructions on how to go about this.

Brian

Got the answer to this question on the reddit forum https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/comments/hee5my/running_unix_gui_on_chromebook_using_remote/

Okay, now that I’ve found a way of running debian on my chromebook using remote desktop. Can anyone suggest an ubuntu image that does the full distro, with all the tools, in the same way.