Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

What is a good linux image for education purpose that has the complete commands toolkit installed?

On my Mac, I’m trying to learn linux by using a running docker container. I’ve run this:

john1@MacBook-Pro:~/geek$ docker run -it ubuntu:latest /bin/bash 
root@4eaf9eb119b8:/# 

So in this ubuntu container, I want to do various stuff such as installing nginx and make a web service, etc. I’m doing this mainly to learn linux and web development.

But, the painful thing I realized is that this container does not even have some of the most basic linux commands available. Even commands like sudo and vi is missing.

Of course I can install sudo by going through some trouble, e.g.

apt-get update && apt-get -y install sudo

But I think this is unnecessarily stupid and I want to know if there is a good linux image in docker that contains the full toolkit and is ready to use for education purpose?

Images usualy include the bare minimum to run one or more processes to provide a single service! It is not a full fledged os with all the bells and whistles. What you are looking for is the behavior of a vm with a container. I would strongly suggest to use a vm instead.

You mant want to take a look at Vagrant in Combination with VirtualBox. It allows to get a vm up and running in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Thank you for the guide!