Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Where are images stored?

how do i change the location ??? because “C” is not my biggest drive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In Windows 10,

1. Stop docker etc
  2. Type “Hyper-V Manager” in task-bar search box and run it.
  3. Select your PC in the left hand pane (Mine is called DESKTOP-CBP**)
  4. Right click on the correct virtual machine (Mine is called MobyLinuxVM)
  5. Select “Turn off” (If it is running)
  6. Right click on it again and select “Move”
  7. Follow the prompts
19 Likes

Nice! You fixed my problem

There is still a confusion lingering in my mind. When I create a new image using docker build, I get the last line of the log as
Successfully built a854b5869839.
However when I look for images in C:\ProgramData\docker\windowsfilter or C:\ProgramData\docker\containers I do not find any folder with a similar name (which I believe I read somewhere on Stackoverflow houses the images).

Where is this image a854b5869839 located?
Any way my “C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual hard disks” folder is empty. Any idea on this?

3 Likes

how about C:\ProgramData\Docker? What is Docker doing with it? In particular, if it will grow big, how can I move it away from C:? :confused:

I am new with docker an also have this problem.
I just want to share my solution.

Before installing docker just change the location of the Virtual Hard Disk from the Hyper-V settings.
Then by default docker will install there.

Hi

All the hyperv configuration is not related to windows containers, right?
Like alexfung says, looks like all data is stored in C:\ProgramData\Docker
I need to download images and create containers in other drive than c too!!

Any information will be nice!!

Create file called c:\programdata\docker\config\daemon.json with content below where e:\images is location where do you want to store all you images etc. restart docker.

{

"graph": "e:\\images" 
}

I added the data as you sugested, after restarting the docker service and try to view the existing images I got the following error

c:\desarrollo>docker images error during connect: Get http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.27/images/json: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.

I’m sure that my new images folder exist

When I restart my computer my modification to daemon.json file is lost
I just got a daemon.json file like this

{}

I found it!

I need to edit the settings inside the UI (I’m using windows containers), Docker will auto restart

After restart, using

docker info

I can see

Docker Root Dir: D:\vm\docker
3 Likes

Docker on Windows:

I would like to store images on 1 iSCSI volume and store containers a different iSCSI volume.

Can you use “graph” multiple times in the daemon.json config file to tell Docker that images are on 1 volume and containers are on a 2nd ( different ) volume?
ex.
“graph”: “I:\images”
“graph”: “E:\containers”

If not, what is the best way to handle this configuration?

No, you cannot - images and containers are the same thing. A container is an image with a writable layer on top (and other things too). Details here: https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/storagedriver/imagesandcontainers/

Updating my settings via the UI to include:

{
  "graph": "..."
}

to set a custom location causes Docker to not restart properly. Looking into the logs it looks like the Docker daemon is not starting properly:

[12:38:03.428][DockerDaemonChecker][Error  ] Docker daemon is not running

Anyone else come across this and could advise on a solution?

Using 17.06.0-ce-win19 on Windows 10 Pro.

I use graph both on my Win10 and Windows 2016 machine with no issues. You need to start dockerd with -D switch and post debug logs here

My problem is different. My home internet is limited and therefore I mostly downloaded ubuntu image for my windows in my office. How shall I proceed to use this image with windows on my Home PC.

Office PC-Windows 7
Home PC- Windows 10

Hi - in case anyone’s running into this now (May 2018), you can change the location where Windows images are stored by setting this in the daemon config file:

{
“data-root”: “d:\docker”
}

details here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/manage-docker/configure-docker-daemon

1 Like

I think that should be “data-root”: “d:\\docker”

Thanks. This migrated the existing MobyLinuxVM to new drive/location!

One has to remember to change the path at two more locations for everything to work smoothly:

1. in Hyper-V manager --> Hyper-V Settings… path for virutal hard disks and virtual machines.
  2. in docker context menu --> settings --> Advanced as well,
    before restarting otherwise it creates one again in C: drive.

With these, docker errored out once, restarted machine and now everything is working well out of D: drive. Existing images, migrated in the first step (suggested by matthuisman) are accessible too!

I have the same issue. did you solve it.

I can’t find where is this GUI :confused: