Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

'command not found' when I try to run docker-compose

I’m running Armbian (Debian Buster arm64) on an Odroid HC2 (XU4). I installed Docker Compose using the instrux found in the Linux section of the docs install page.
I’m logged in as root via SSH. I run the curl command (which I literally copied/pasted from the docs install page)
curl -L "https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/1.26.2/docker-compose-$(uname -s)-$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
then
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
and I check it with
which docker-compose
which returns:
/usr/local/bin/docker-compose
When I try to test the installation…
docker-compose --version
it returns:
bash: /usr/bin/docker-compose: Permission denied
Notice that it seems to want /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin, so (as suggested on the docs install page) I run
ln -s /usr/local/bin/docker-compose /usr/bin/docker-compose
and I try to test the installation again. Now it returns:
/usr/bin/docker-compose: line 1: Not: command not found

I removed everything and tried the curl command (pointed at /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin) again, followed by the chmod command. Now which docker-compose returns
/usr/bin/docker-compose
So I try to test the installation again with docker-compose --version and I get the same thing:
/usr/bin/docker-compose: line 1: Not: command not found

What in the heck am I doing wrong?

Idem on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on raspberry pi4
If you type cat docker-compose in /usr/local/bin, you’ll get “Not found” …
Type uname -s then uname -m, and see if you get something from URL in your browser. For me, uname -s is Linux, and uname -m is aarch64, but unfortunately https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/1.26.2/docker-compose-Linux-aarch64 does not exists.

Thank you! I’ll try to build from source.

In case anyone stumbles upon this and, like me, is trying to install docker-compose on Debian Buster-based Armbian (arm64 architecture) the answer, as it turns out, is quite simple…

Install Docker using softy. (Softy does all the work - it’s great!) Test the install with

docker run hello-world

Once that’s done and successful, you can just run

sudo apt install docker-compose

and it just works. If you want to test it, paste this into docker-compose.yml:

version: '3'  
services:
  web:
    image: nginx:latest
    ports:
     - "8080:80"
    links:
     - php