Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Create a server to display static pages with docker, Windows Server 2016 and AWS service [not solved]

aws

(Dockergi) #21

so what should I do?
do I have to change system?
do I have to change code?

(Artisticcheese) #22

Run UNIX containers on UNIX docker hosts.

(Dockergi) #23

for example?
what is a “UNIX docker hosts”?
are you advising me to change system and use linux?
which version do you recommend? centos? ubuntu?

(Artisticcheese) #24

You are building UNIX container. So you need to run it on UNIX. if you need help with deploying/building UNIX containers this is not correct forum.

(Dockergi) #25

So I should use another code in the dockerfile to put up my server, right?

(Artisticcheese) #26

Yes, you need to build windows not unix container to run on Docker EE on Windows 2016

(Dockergi) #27

can you help me modify my dockerfile?

(Artisticcheese) #28

I don’t understand what you are trying to do, so not sure what you are asking. If you want some walktrhoughs how windows containers work there is bunch of articles on Internet

(Dockergi) #29

I would simply turn my Amazon WPS into a WEB server to publish my html files and then my static site.

if I put a file of this type in htdocs:

hello world!

I would like all the clients in this world to read it!

I do not know if web server is the right term …

(Artisticcheese) #30

Here is documentation about how to run Windows containers (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/about/) Here is specifically a link jow to do it what you are trying to do
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/quick-start/quick-start-images

(Dockergi) #31

There are written things I already know.
I rather throw away Windows Server 2016 and install Ubuntu or Centos because I really do not know how to fix my dockerfile.

(Artisticcheese) #32

Your dockerfile is for the wrong operating system, of course it will not work. This has nothing to do with docker or Windows. If you want to build windows docker image follow instructions above.

(Dockergi) #33

I had not seen your second link.
now I understand.
after dinner I try to read.
thank you

(Dockergi) #34

I tried to follow the guide.
IIS is a really monstrous server!
On my free VPS I can not install it.
I have only 10GB of free space.

(Artisticcheese) #35

Yes, Windows containers are much bigger then unix ones, this is full blown Windows Server Core OS.

(Dockergi) #36

I have windows server 2016 with containers, is not there some smaller image for me?

(Artisticcheese) #37

Not if you want IIS.

(Dockergi) #38

I do not care about IIS.
I’m happy with html.
In the future I will use java and php. I use java more and more often than php. I do not use Microsoft languages.
In this post I would be content to read on my Windows 8.1 browser the word “Hello World!”.
It would be my first small goal.
:slight_smile: