Creating a "HEALTH CHECK"

I have a Synology DS220+ NAS

I am new at Creating and Using Docker…but I am learning alot.

The one thing I am trying to do is come up with a “GENERIC HEALTH CHECK” that I can apply to my Docker Containers
I have tried many things such as: (I change the Port which the Container is using)

healthcheck:
test: curl -f http://localhost:8000/ || exit 1

The problem for me is no matter the different ways I try the Docker Container always goes to “UNHEALTHY”

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a “GENERIC HEALTH CHECK” that I can use??

I appreciate the suggestions anyone may have

THANKS…

Hello and welcome!

From my point of view there is no generic health check that is suitable for all containers.

Even the mentioned test: curl -f http://localhost:8000/ || exit 1 might test three containers in one:

• the webserver-container (where the healthcheck is used/started)
  • the PHP-container because the index.php is processed
  • the database-container because this index.php connects to the database-container
    If this healthcheck failes your webserver-container is marked as “unhealthy” but you don’t know which container is the reason for this issue.

So you have to design a healthchecks for each of your containers:

• for the webserver you might request a static ressource (maybe a text returned by the webserver itself without using any other container). Or you can check for the webserver-service’s status.
  • for the PHP-FPM-container you can configure a /ping-ressource which can be used similar to this test: SCRIPT_NAME=/ping SCRIPT_FILENAME=/ping REQUEST_METHOD=GET cgi-fcgi -bind -connect 127.0.0.1:9000 || exit 1. If you need mor information I can post the steps to reproduce
  • for a MySQL-container the healthcheck might look similar to this: test: mysqladmin -p${MARIADB_ROOT_PASSWORD} ping -h localhost

There is no one-fits-all-healthcheck - you have to choose a healthcheck which is suitable for this container.

To find out why your healthcheck failes you might open a shell in the container, run the test-command manually and check the result. Or you might check the container’s logs if there is a hint why the healthcheck failes.
If this doesn’t help you might want to post the docker-compose.yml so others might try to reproduce the issue or spot an error in the yml-file?

Best regards
Matthias

1 Like