Docker bridge macvlan parent br0 (broadcasting)

This is the basic setup I have showing two plex containers on two different IP’s. br0 is pretty standard using /etc/network/interfaces :

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
 # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback

# Set up interfaces manually, avoiding conflicts with, e.g., network manager
 iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

# Bridge setup
 iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0 eth1

The maclaven bridge is setup like this:

docker network create --driver macvlan --subnet 192.168.1.0/24 --gateway 192.168.1.1 -o parent=br0 br0-docker

Plex-2 is started with :

docker run --net=br0-docker --ip=192.168.1.123

Plexconnect is basically a DNS interceptor/webapp which serves plex to the trailers app in the appletv instead of the actual trailers webapp.

Both Plexservers have GDM (G’Day Mate discovery) which is some sort of allowing of local network discovery. I have tried to google how this works but I came up empty. I can only assume this involves some sort of broadcast.

The problem I face is plexconnect does not discover plex-2 (but does discover plex-1). I can however access plex-2 directly from any computer on the local network.

I used to have a simuler setup in LXC’s, then both plex servers where directly connected to br0, and working with plexconnect.

What kind of maclaven bridge have a created and is there maybe some restrictions I am not aware of?
I was thinking of creating docker swarms in LXC and run simuler containers in different swarms… But I am hoping I can avoid that…

Impatient as I am I created a LXC with docker on the same machine and voila, it works. There has to be some limitation to the maclaven bridge. Is there another way to set up bridging to br0 ?

Actually the answer to this is in the Docker documentation of Macvlan… Macvlan containers cant talk to its parant unless another bridge is made for that purpose. This is also documented in the Macvlan Docker Doc, and a way to that.

However, (and I cant belive I did not think of this right away) if you put all the containers that need to communicate on either the host or Macvlan your good. I just moved Plex1, Plex2, and Plexconnect on macvlan and thats it…

Well, thanks for all your help and so long ;).!