Docker build with rockylinux:9 failed, not able to resolve host name to mirrors site

Hello All:

I am trying to build a docker container image with rockylinux-9 without success. I can always build a docker container with rockylinux:8.9 without any problem, using the same Dockerfile.

My Dockerfile contains:

FROM rockylinux:8.9
RUN yum install -y epel-release openssl
WORKDIR /usr/jc
ENTRYPOINT [“/usr/jc/my-entrypoint.sh”]
CMD [“/bin/bash”]

My build script is:

#!/bin/bash
BUILD_DATE=01-20-24
docker build -f Dockerfile -t jc/rocky:$BUILD_DATE .
docker save jc/rocky:$BUILD_DATE --output jc-rocky-docker-$BUILD_DATE.tar
gzip jc-rocky-docker-$BUILD_DATE.tar

The script works fine with rockylinux:8.9 and produces the image gzip file. But after changing 8.9 to 9.3 (or 9.2, or 9 for that matter) in the Dockerfile, it always fails during the “docker build” processing, with errors during the BaseOS step:

Sending build context to Docker daemon 1.108 GB
Step 1/5 : FROM rockylinux:9.3
—> eeea865f4111
Step 2/5 : RUN yum install -y epel-release openssl
—> Running in 48e238283494

Rocky Linux 9 - BaseOS 0.0 B/s | 0 B 00:00
Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘baseos’:

It seems the new rockylinux:9 could not resolve the URL. However, if I run the curl command on my host:

curl -X GET “copy URL in the error message here”

I can get the full mirror list.

I tried adding “RUN cat /etc/hosts && cat /etc/resolv.conf” to Dockerfile, and compared the contents between 8.9 and 9.3, they are exactly the same. The resolv.conf contains only one nameserver entry whish is 8.8.8.8 (supposedly google). Even if I purposely added a nameserver entry using my host’s resolv.conf, it did not help and I got the same errors:

RUN echo nameserver x.x.x.x (my host’s entry value) >> /etc/resolv.conf && yum install -y epel-release openssl

My host system is CentOS 7.7:

CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)
Derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7 (Source)
NAME=“CentOS Linux”
VERSION=“7 (Core)”
ID=“centos”
ID_LIKE=“rhel fedora”
VERSION_ID=“7”
PRETTY_NAME=“CentOS Linux 7 (Core)”
ANSI_COLOR=“0;31”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:centos:centos:7”

My docker version:
Docker version 1.13.1, build 7d71120/1.13.1

I tried search on this site, and also googled but did not come up with any specific helpful info. Please help me with any pointers or insights.

Thanks in advance.

JC

Sounds like a good debugging approach.

Where is /usr/jc/my-entrypoint.sh coming from?

Hi bluepuma77:

Thanks for looking into the problem.

I trimmed down my real Dockerfile to a minimum to show the error. In the actual Dockerfile it contains lots of other commands to put necessary files into place. Such as

RUN mkdir /usr/jc
ADD my-entrypoint.sh /usr/jc

The my-entrypoint.sh also does lots of processing to set up software packages such as kafka inside container…

I omitted them because the error was happening on the RUN yum install command.

JC

It’s funny, you are the second person today that is installing a load of tools into a single fat container.

Containers are about isolation, you should run Kafka in a separate container to decouple systems. To easier upgrade individual components.

Anyway, this works for me on Debian:

# Dockerfile
FROM rockylinux:8.9
root@server1:/tmp# docker build -f Dockerfile .
Successfully built c467225861bc

Hi bluetpuma77:

Point taken - yes I planned to move Kafka and other “heavy” ones off my container in the near future.

Yes, rockylinux:.8.9 also works for me. If I change 8.9 to 9.3 (9.2 or 9), it fails with the error. My host is running CentOs 7.7. I plan to find a machine running with a higher version of CentOs or RH to see what will happen.

Regards,
JC

Works for me on Debian.

# Dockerfile
FROM rockylinux:9.3
root@server1:/tmp# docker build -f Dockerfile .
Successfully built 5f827e900233

It’s time to upgrade anyway :wink:

CentOS Linux 7 will reach end of life (EOL) on June 30, 2024

I guess I will have to. Thanks

Just an update: run the same on a RedHat 9.2 host. No error. So the problem seems to be caused by outdated CentOS 7.