Docker community edition with overlay network limitation work around

While exploring Docker community edition high availability, I come across article at following link,

https://planet.mysql.com/entry/?id=5997815

According to the link “Docker Swarm mode has a limitation in managing persistent data storage. When a node fails, the manager will get rid of the containers and create new containers in place of the old ones to meet the desired replica state. Since a container is discarded when it goes down, we would lose the corresponding data volume as well.”

Question - Is there any option available, to have high availability for Docker community edition without using Galera OR Percona cluster, using Docker with overlay network?

Thanks
Shrenik

You need to use named volumes. Their lifecycle does neither end with a terminated task (as in a scheduled swarm service’s container) nor a removed swarm stack or swarm service. To make the data available from all you nodes, you will want to use named volumes that point to remote nfs or cifs shares.

Docker (even CE) support storage plugins. (that list is far from complete, there’s ceph rbd and cephfs plugins for sure, probably many others)
Choose a plugin that suit your infrastructure and do not store the volume locally :slight_smile:

Hi Meyay,

Thank you so much for your time to respond. I will test Docker with Overlay Network, and named volumes.

Thanks
Shrenik

Hi Sebt3,

Thanks for sharing storage plugin. I will read the page.

Thanks
Shrenik