Docker-credential-desktop.exe executable file not found in $PATH using wsl2

In my case I had installed before docker desktop for linux (Ubuntu) and then installed the engine (I had some issues with sefacl using the desktop version).

docker desktop created the extra entries mentioned by Bertrand and then the engine tries to look for an unrecognized command docker-credential-desktop. After removing the extra keys created by docker desktop I’m not longer having this error.

{
	"auths": {
		"docker.your.domain.": {
			"auth": "dasdad342234="
		}
	}
}

Hi,
I have the same problem as you described. Can you help me and give more specific information about:
“After removing the extra keys created by docker desktop I’m not longer having this error.”
Where is this config file which was altered by the docker desktop?
I need to remove these additional entries, but I do not know where.

It should be in the following json file:

$HOME/.docker/config.json

in windows this path is:
C:\Users\[YOUR.USER]\.docker\config.json
Thank you, it works.

You save my day, thanks a lot!

Thank you very much!
Dankon al vi!
Muito obrigado!
!תודה רבה לך
Большое спасибо!

Just wanted to point out that the property name of credsStore is correct. docker login | Docker Documentation. This is usually an error that happens when the credsStore value config (in this case “desktop”) cannot be retrieved. In my case, the underlying problem was that I installed Docker Desktop but then reinstalled it to use just Docker Engine with Desktop. The credsStore value in ~/.docker/config.json did not update or remove the credsStore value, so it errored properly. If you are not using another credsStore, just remove the value as a whole. Renaming it to credStore may just confuse you later if you ever need to look at it again.

Disclaimer: This happened to me on a Linux install but the same would apply to WSL2 or MacOS. You may not want to try deleting the value for MacOS. It might need to be “osxkeychain”.

2 Likes

This resolved my issue, thanks!

occurred in
Docker Desktop 4.17.1 (101757).
Windows 11 Home

It works. Thank you so much.

Thanks this worked for me I am running Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS inside Windows 11 WSL2

This worked for me too. 牛逼, thanks!

This worked for me. Many thanks!!!

it’s worked for me , i saved both credsStore and credStore in congfig.json and try it again , got the same error message , then i delete credsStore. only saved credStore in json file , the it worked, don’t realy know why.

Thanks. This worked for me after a lot of searching.

This worked for me, thank you!

Life saver. Worked for me