Docker Desktop Error after Accidental Docker Directory Deletion and Reinstallation

I’m experiencing a challenging issue with Docker Desktop on Windows, Docker Desktop was functioning correctly until I unintentionally removed the Docker directory from %LOCALAPPDATA%. After realizing the mistake, I uninstalled Docker Desktop, but the problem started when I reinstalled it. Post-reinstallation, I am continuously encountering an error related to the WSL 2 distribution terminating unexpectedly.

The steps I’ve taken so far include:

1. Uninstalling Docker Desktop through Windows “Apps & features”.
  2. Removing all Docker-related directories and files from %LOCALAPPDATA%, %APPDATA%, %PROGRAMDATA%, and %USERPROFILE%.
  3. Uninstalling the WSL 2 Linux kernel update package.
  4. Unregistering all WSL distributions using wsl --unregister <DistroName>.
  5. Rebooting the system.
  6. Reinstalling the WSL 2 Linux kernel update package.
  7. Reinstalling Docker Desktop and configuring it to use the WSL 2 backend.

Environment Details:

• Windows version: 11
  • Docker Desktop version: 24.0.7
  • WSL version: 2

Error Message: The specific error message I am receiving is:

• Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux is enabled and using WSL version 2.
  • I have also run sfc /scannow with no system file integrity issues found.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions for troubleshooting this problem. Has anyone encountered a similar issue or can offer advice on further steps I can take?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Hi! It seems like a complex Docker Desktop issue post-directory deletion. Have you checked Docker settings for assistance? Also, ensure your Windows version supports Docker. Considering your troubleshooting steps, exploring Docker forums or reaching out to their support might provide tailored solutions.

i had the same problem and i fixed it
go to troubleshoot while it’s booting before u get the message

and then click those both of the red options
Clean / Purge data
and
Reset to factory defaults

i’m sorry im not an expert in docker, i’m only starting my way
but this solved the problem for me i think especially because of deleting all the configurations
at least give it a try