Docker Desktop failing to start after update (wsl update failed?)

I was having issues with Docker starting the other day, so I decided to perform an update and see if it would fix my problem. It did not, and only created another issue. Immediately after performing the update, the following error comes up: “wsl update failed: updating wsl: elevated update failed: the operating system denied access to the specified file”

Upon restarting Docker desktop, I will get a UAC prompt for “Docker Desktop Privileged Helper”. For as long as I click “yes” on the prompt, the prompt will keep re-appearing, until I eventually click “no” on the prompt, which leads to me getting the same error that came up after initially updating Docker.

I tried running Docker as an administrator, and I can see on the Docker dashboard that docker is pretty much in a “bootloop” of sorts, it just repeatedly rotates through the following messages: “Starting the Docker Engine” → “Stopping the Docker Engine”
Trying to update WSL manually via terminal simply tells me that WSL is already up to date.

Any advice on what to do here is appreciated…

Diagnostic ID: 6E48DCDF-E4FB-456B-8FB8-7E526477ED5A/20240725211520

1 Like

I am also facing same issue

I’m also facing the same issue

Same problem.
Works with old WSL2 5.15.153.1 kernel, but does not run with kernel 6.1.21.2 or 6.6.36.3.

just encountered it awhile ago. tried searching for answers but to no avail, so i just tried everything i can and boom i got my docker running now. seems like the wsl failed to update on my end because it wasn’t installed in the first place or something. i tried running the ff command instead and it resolves the issue: wsl --install

The issue here is with Docker staff still being unaware that WSL can be installed from the Microsoft Store and the version bundled with the OS itself as a “feature” may not be installed at all.

If you only have the Store version installed, as you should since it’s much newer, and you don’t have the outdated OS version installed, then you will probably run into this issue (since Docker Desktop is trying to run wsl --update).

2 Likes

Possibly the same issue: Stop Docker from installing WSL that is bundled with Windows 11. · Issue #13767 · docker/for-win · GitHub

So does anyone know how to prevent Docker Desktop from attempting to wsl --update?