Actual behaviour

Error response from daemon: Bad response from Docker engine

Information

• the output of:
    • Moby Menu > Diagnose & Feedback on OSX

69B398E7-BB0E-4E58-B75E-E11D6E4C1025

• a reproducible case if this is a bug, Dockerfiles FTW
  • page URL if this is a docs issue or the name of a man page
  • host distribution and version ( OSX 10.10.x, OSX 10.11.x, Windows, etc )
Docker for Mac: version: mac-v1.12.0-beta16.2
OS X: version 10.11.5 (build: 15F34)
logs: /tmp/20160623-003101.tar.gz
failure: docker ps failed: Failure("docker ps: timeout after 10.00s")
[ERROR]  docker-cli
         docker ps failed
[OK]     app
[OK]     menubar
[OK]     virtualization
[OK]     system
[OK]     osxfs
[OK]     db
[OK]     slirp
[OK]     moby-console
[OK]     logs
[OK]     vmnetd
[OK]     env
[OK]     moby
[OK]     driver.amd64-linux

Steps to reproduce the behavior

Open Docker for Mac.

This was working for a day or two after updating to the 1.12 RC, but won’t load now and the animation keeps playing over and over at the top of the screen.

I was not the only one to have this happen. I did a factory reset of Docker which has got me back in, but I’ve lost all my images and containers. :-/

1 Like

I started getting the same error today… :frowning: I removed Docker from the Applications folder and did NOT get it to work again… I see a bunch of processes running, the whale in the status bar is running properly.

$ docker -D ps
Error response from daemon: Bad response from Docker engine

$ docker --version
Docker version 1.12.0-rc2, build 906eacd, experimental

I was able to work around this by doing a factory reset as suggested by @alexellis2. I did this yesterday but today it’s happening again. This will be quite annoying if I need to repeatedly reset and re-download all my images… my diagnostic Id is: 24580EC7-A8B3-4475-B886-A5418EB8C6B0

Did a fresh install of docker for Mac and ran a diagnostic which failed.

My diagnostic id is: 46B4EC9A-80C1-4215-BADC-3DE94FF858FD

I solved a similar issue by reseting docker to factory defaults (in the preferences).

Still with problems after Deleting the docker Application and reinstalling it again… Diagnostic ID 57AC85B7-3D7E-451C-849F-2694D3739F77

Docker for Mac: version: mac-v1.12.0-beta16.2
OS X: version 10.11.5 (build: 15F34)
logs: /tmp/20160629-105403.tar.gz
failure: docker ps failed: Failure("docker ps: timeout after 10.00s")
[ERROR]  docker-cli
         docker ps failed
[OK]     app
[OK]     menubar
[OK]     virtualization
[OK]     system
[OK]     osxfs
[OK]     db
[OK]     slirp
[OK]     moby-console
[OK]     logs
[OK]     vmnetd
[OK]     env
[OK]     moby
[OK]     driver.amd64-linux

@marcellodesales just removing the Application doesn’t work. You need to go to preferences -> Uninstall/Reset -> Reset.

Same issue here, not the first time. Happend for me several times already 9AD9B69E-A608-4878-B1AB-0B15B6EFB241

I too am having same issue. I noticed this issue started after docker was upgraded to 1.12.0-rc2-beta17. I have restarted docker engine countless times since yesterday after the upgrade. I have quit and opened docker app countless time and I have restarted my mac many times. Earlier, it used to work after restart of docker engine then quitting docker will work restart won’t and then restart of mac only will work. Since yesterday evening, none of the above works. I have to reset to factory settings to make it work. Needless to say the annoyance of downloading images and losing any experimental image not uploaded to hub. I guess I am going to give a pass to docker for mac for now.

Same here… I could only reset my install after a factory reset… That removes everything I had done… please fix 1.12.0-rc2-beta17

Update: So one thing I noticed is this issue occurs when my mac goes to sleep mode and after it wakes up I start getting above error. I guess it has something to do with hypervisor. I updated Docker for Mac to 1.12.0-rc3-beta18 (build: 9996) and was able to reproduce this behavior.