I’m wondering what are the pros and cons of putting the source code into the container through
ADD vs. sharing them with a volume.
Here’s what I see:
- container is fully autonomous
- can be sent to hub
- easy to replace
- no share issue between instances/race conditions
- no need to setup git and the repo on the server
- heavy containers
- longer build/deployment time
- introduces differences between local/production config
As for me the last point (local/production environment closeness) has always been the most important one, hence I have always been in favor of using volumes, but I’m wondering what are the best practices, if there are reasons I would forget that would override any other and cut the debate short.
Thanks for your insights.