Docker Swarm Nginx host configuration issue

Hello!

I have a working setup for docker swarm with a django app and Nginx (as a docker service). But I faced with the common problem, that I can’t get the client’s IP address. I read a lot about it and I have decided to try to use the host’s network for Nginx as many people have recommended that.

So I rewritten nginx ports from this:

- "80:80"
      - "443:443"

to this:

- target: 80
        published: 80
        protocol: tcp
        mode: host
      - target: 443
        published: 443

But after that Nginx can no longer find the upstream:

upstream app_upstream {
    server django:7000;
}
[emerg] 7#7: host not found in upstream "django:7000" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf:2

The network is the default ingress.

This is the docker-compose setup:

django:
    image: ...
    build: ...
    volumes: ...
    command: ...
    deploy:
      replicas: 1
      placement:
        constraints:
          - node.role == worker
      update_config:
        order: start-first
        delay: 20s
      rollback_config:

nginx:
    ports:
    depends_on:
      - django
    deploy:
      placement:
        constraints:
          - node.role == worker

Please can you help me what kind of extra setup is necessary? Adding multiple networks?

Thank you in advance!

I can say from experience that using the long syntax to publish ports in host mode indeed does what you are looking for.

Though, as you obviously didn’t share a complete compose file, it is impossible to say whether you actually defined networks or not. I have never used a compose file for stack deployments without explicitly declaring and assigning the networks.

As the lack of networks is the only difference between from what I know works and your configuration, I suggest declaring and assign a network in your stack and your services.

Still, I would strongly recommend taking a look at Traefik and use it, instead of creating your self configured nginx reverse proxy. Note: with swarm deployments, the labels to configure the reverse proxy rules need to be service deploy labels and not container labels.

Thank you!

I attached the full compose config to the end of my reply (with the new ports and replaced some lines with …, but they don’t have any docker/network related information). But as you can see I don’t have network configuration at all. So It’s fully the default one for swarm. Compose file version number is 3.7. OS is Linux.

Traefik could be good, but I have already have a full configured Nginx with CI/CD integration, so I would not like to remove it. And yes, I use service name in Nginx conf :slight_smile:

Perhaps can you share a working network configuration with me?

I have already tried this one:

networks:
  proxy:
    driver: overlay
    name: proxy
  internal_network:
    driver: overlay
    driver_opts:
      encrypted: 'true'

Then attached proxy and internal_network to the nginx service and the internal_network to django service, but It didn’t work. The idea was from here: dogvscat/stack-proxy-global.yml at main · BretFisher/dogvscat · GitHub

And one more important question: if I set the port mode to host, does it fully turn off the swarm load balancer? So in the domain configuration will I have to point to the manager’s or the worker server’s IP? (After the configuration will work of course)

The full compose:

version: '3.7'

services:
  django:
    deploy:
      replicas: 1
      placement:
        constraints:
          - node.role == worker
      update_config:
        delay: 20s
      rollback_config:

nginx:
    volumes:
      - certbot-etc:/etc/letsencrypt
      - certbot-var:/var/lib/letsencrypt
      - certbot-www:/var/www/certbot
    ports:
    depends_on:
      - django
    deploy:
      placement:
        constraints:
          - node.role == worker

certbot:
    image: certbot/certbot
    volumes:
      - certbot-etc:/etc/letsencrypt
      - certbot-var:/var/lib/letsencrypt
      - certbot-www:/var/www/certbot
    entrypoint: "/bin/sh -c 'trap exit TERM; while :; do certbot renew; sleep 12h & wait $${!}; done;'"
    depends_on:
      - nginx
    deploy:
      placement:
        constraints:
          - node.role == worker

volumes:
  certbot-etc:
  certbot-var:
  certbot-www:

Your example looks fine, though I would suggest to temporarily remove the driver opts of the network declaration and re-add the network attachment in the service definition.

I guess by “fully turn off” you mean if a published port with mode: host bypassed the ingress mesh loadbalancer? Of course, it does. Would you expect a different behavior from mode: host?

If you bind a host port, you bind the port on that particular host. If you have 3 worker nodes, but run a single replica, the port will only be bound on the host where the container task is running!

If you want your nginx service to stick to a specific worker node, you could add a node label and use it as placement constraint.

Add node label: docker node update --label-add mylabel=true {node name or id}
Add placement constraint:

deploy:
      placement:
        constraints:
          - node.labels.mylabel == true

If you want your nginx service to run on all worker nodes, you can configure your deployment to deploy a global service (=exact 1 instance per host). If you want your nginx service to be restricted to a subset of the worker nodes, you can use node labels as placement constraints.

deploy:
      mode: global

Thank you, your detailed explanation made everything clearer.

And finally It turned out what was wrong. In fact the problem was the nginx build cache, so after I changed the ports to host, I cleared the cache (and containers, networks etc.) and rebuilt everything. That solved the problem.

My experience for other readers:

• Enough to change the ports settings of the nginx service. There was no need for further network configuration.
  • Pay attention to the build cache
  • And don’t forget to change the IP address to point to the Nginx instead of the swarm balancer

Thank you again :slight_smile: