Env variable cannot be passed to container

I tried to use --env to pass environment variable to container, the command is like:
docker run --env P4EDITOR=“vim” -d -P -h ${HOSTNAME} -v /home/p4:/home/p4 myimage
(My image will start sshd service)

However, when I login container with ssh, I found the env variable was not passed in.
env|grep P4EDITOR

Anybody know why?

docker version
Client version: 1.7.1
Client API version: 1.19
Go version (client): go1.4.2
Git commit (client): 786b29d/1.7.1
OS/Arch (client): linux/amd64
Server version: 1.7.1
Server API version: 1.19
Go version (server): go1.4.2
Git commit (server): 786b29d/1.7.1
OS/Arch (server): linux/amd64

What happens when you docker exec into the container? The ENV VAR should be there. When you ssh into the container, you connect via pseudo terminal and a different environment.

Thanks for the reply, the exec output:
docker exec f3edd100d4f0 echo ${P4EDITOR}
vim

Yes, it looks it’s due to ssh session, any recommendation to pass the env variable to ssh session?

Can you give me more context? Why are you ssh-ing into a container?

The docker image is to provide a public console and some other people can ssh on it to do some work.

I’m not sure what best practice is for this situation, but you can add this to your Dockerfile: RUN echo ‘export P4EDITOR=“vim”’ >> /etc/profile.d/vim_env.sh

All files in /etc/profile.d should get sourced. Let me know how it works out for you. You can also copy the .sh file instead of running echo every time you build a container.

Thanks for your suggestion, but besides P4EDITOR, I still have some account env variable such as P4USER, each user should be able to ssh to the container, then do some work with his own account, I cannot hardcode it in dockerfile.

Is everyone going to ssh as the same user, but have different environment, or is everyone going to have their own account, aka their own $HOME?

everyone will have their own account, and own password.

I found a way to workaround it:
Put account related env variables to /root/.bashrc

Then add -v /root:/root to docker run parameters.