Error on Docker Desktop Startup (Windows 11)

Hello all,

I have been facing a issue when starting docker desktop for the first time after power on the computer. The program start to load and stop. After that if I run it again it’s works fine.

I’m using Windows 11 and Docker Desktop for Windows version Desktop 4.6.1 (76265).

I have checked the Event Logs on Windows and see this messages:

1) Nome do aplicativo com falha: Docker Desktop.exe, versão: 4.6.1.0, carimbo de data/hora: 0x87a35a97
Nome do módulo com falha: KERNELBASE.dll, versão: 10.0.22000.527, carimbo de data/hora: 0x71a5cb5d
Código de exceção: 0xe0434352
Deslocamento da falha: 0x000000000004478c
ID do processo com falha: 0x1314
Hora de início do aplicativo com falha: 0x01d8404225cbd6fa
Caminho do aplicativo com falha: C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Docker Desktop.exe
Caminho do módulo com falha: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
ID do Relatório: 41f12bd5-e394-4d8a-acb7-3af6baa63a35
Nome completo do pacote com falha: 
ID do aplicativo relativo ao pacote com falha: 

2) Aplicativo: Docker Desktop.exe
Versão do Framework: v4.0.30319
Descrição: O processo foi terminado devido a uma exceção sem tratamento.
Informações da Exceção: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Informações da Exceção: Docker.Core.HttpBadResponseException
   em Docker.Core.Logging.HttpClientExceptionInterceptor+<InterceptResponseAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
   em System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
   em Docker.Core.IPC.Client+<SendAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
   em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
   em System.Net.Http.HttpClient+<FinishSendAsyncBuffered>d__58.MoveNext()
   em Docker.Core.BackendAPI.ServiceAPIClient+<UpdateHostsAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
   em Docker.Core.TaskExtension+<Forget>d__0.MoveNext()
   em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   em System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   em System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Sorry for the message in portuguese.

Thanks in advance

Please, use the codeblock button (</>) when you insert codes or terminal outputs. I fixed your post to make it readable.

About the error:

I recommend you to always search for similar issues in the docker for-win project on Github. I found a similar issue by searching for “kernelbase”:

The issue is still open, so if you comment and share your experience, let’s hope they can solve it eventually.

My guess without doing any resource on this: If the first try fails but the second always succeeds, Docker may have a slow process in the background which generates some files. When you run it the second time, those files are already there, so it works. Since it doesn’t happen to everyone, it could depend on some settings.

You should share your current settings, the output of docker info and whether you are using Docker Desktop as an authenticated user as well. It could be related to Hyper-V or WSL2 depending on which backend you are using.

You can share the above information here too, if you want, but if it is a bug, we probably can’t help you.

Thanks for answer rimelek.

Below is my docker info results

Client:
 Context:    default
 Debug Mode: false
 Plugins:
  buildx: Docker Buildx (Docker Inc., v0.8.1)
  compose: Docker Compose (Docker Inc., v2.1.1)
  scan: Docker Scan (Docker Inc., v0.17.0)

Server:
 Containers: 12
  Running: 2
  Paused: 0
  Stopped: 10
 Server Version: 20.10.13
 Storage Driver: overlay2
  Backing Filesystem: extfs
  Supports d_type: true
  Native Overlay Diff: true
  userxattr: false
 Logging Driver: json-file
 Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
 Cgroup Version: 1
 Plugins:
  Volume: local
  Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
  Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
 Swarm: inactive
 Runtimes: runc io.containerd.runc.v2 io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux
 Default Runtime: runc
 Init Binary: docker-init
 containerd version: 2a1d4dbdb2a1030dc5b01e96fb110a9d9f150ecc
 runc version: v1.0.3-0-gf46b6ba
 init version: de40ad0
 Security Options:
  seccomp
   Profile: default
 Kernel Version: 5.10.102.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2
 Operating System: Docker Desktop
 OSType: linux
 Architecture: x86_64
 CPUs: 6
 Total Memory: 5.794GiB
 Name: docker-desktop
 ID: 5CYN:X2QZ:JAJD:N3NC:RR74:P4A2:H4WO:KJRP:UC7N:BUYC:Q5L4:KTHK
 Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
 Debug Mode: false
 HTTP Proxy: http.docker.internal:3128
 HTTPS Proxy: http.docker.internal:3128
 No Proxy: hubproxy.docker.internal
 Registry: https://index.docker.io/v1/
 Labels:
 Experimental: false
 Insecure Registries:
  hubproxy.docker.internal:5000
  127.0.0.0/8
 Live Restore Enabled: false

WARNING: No blkio throttle.read_bps_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.write_bps_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.read_iops_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.write_iops_device support

I don’t believe that is some process that are starting in background, because if I wait for example, 5 minutos after computer start, the behavior is the same.

I have followed the troubleshooting guide that you suggested me, but unfortunately, also without success.

I meant that a process could start when you first try to start Docker-Desktop, but due to some timeout or any other reason it cannot finish so the Desktop cannot start. When you start it again, some generated files (just an example) could already be there.

It only shows some of the config parameters of Docker, not the Docker desktop. The only thing I can se it reveals is that you have the WSL2 backend and not HyperV. Docker Desktop has more configuration like the virtualization framework for example. I don’t know if you could export it. I you can’t, you can create some screenshots of the Docker Desktop settings tab or just write down everything you see on it. But again, I am not sure if I can give you a solution even with that information

Today, my docker desktop has started without any problem. I suppose that this was fixed by a Windows Update did automatically yesterday, but I don’t have sure about that.

So, now everything is working fine again :slight_smile: